Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, is it me or is the lean angle more aggressive on this bike compared to my 999. I traded in my 999 with stock wheels 180/55 rear for the 1198 with stock wheels 190/55 rear. I was not super fast, but decent on some corners, and on my 999 I still had about 1/4 inch strips on the rear. I am just breaking in my 1198 and taking it easy, but I looked at my rear and I have pretty much no strips. I had the suspension setup on both and running about the same pressures on both bikes. Am I going to run out of tire once the 1198 is broken in and I start to go faster?

Forgot to mention 999 corsaIII and 1198 supercorsa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 190 rear is flatter, which means you're on the edge of the tire with less lean angle, but a greater contact patch. If you've ever ridden a bike with a 160 rear, you'd know that roughing in the tires to the edge is a pain in the a$$ comparatively because the tire is so round. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you've lowsided you just ran out of tire. As long as your on 2 wheels you've got plenty of tire.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 190 rear is flatter, which means you're on the edge of the tire with less lean angle, but a greater contact patch. If you've ever ridden a bike with a 160 rear, you'd know that roughing in the tires to the edge is a pain in the a$$ comparatively because the tire is so round. I hope that helps.
It does and your probably right. I had a 190/50 pp on the 999 before I changed to the 180/55 corsa III and they still had about a 1/4 inch of strip. I think I've read pp have a steeper profile though.

Hey tye they are actually Diablo Supercorsa's which I've read are suppose to be stickier than the previous Dragon Supercorsa's. How would you compare warmup to the corsa III's?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, I've noticed that as well. I tell all my friends that this bike is like riding a broom stick. Super skinny with bad ass handling even with standard suspension on my 1198. I have a buddy with an RC 51 with a 190 as well and we notice how different the profile of my 1198 190 rear is.

By the way no chicken strips here either. So hold the honey mustard sauce.

·
Registered
578 Posts
After the first weekend of breaking in my new 1198 I was surprised to see the rear tire had no strips either, worn to the edge, and I had not even been pushing it in the turns. This bike turns in slower than my 999R did, and the super stiff shock and soft forks are annoying (haven't set the suspension yet) But still it leans over very willingly and is so stable, it makes you think you haven't got it leaned over that far, when you really do. I like these Pirelli's too, nice and sticky. I would probably get another set of them once these wear out. Bet they cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
443 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The difference is tire profile, not necessarily lean angle. tye1138, as was said, they're Diablo, not Dragon Supercorsas. Faster warmup than Corsa IIIs? Cool; the Diablo Supercorsa SP is probably going to be my next track tire (unless I cheap-out and get Dunlop Q2s).
Joe

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The difference is tire profile, not necessarily lean angle. tye1138, as was said, they're Diablo, not Dragon Supercorsas. Faster warmup than Corsa IIIs? Cool; the Diablo Supercorsa SP is probably going to be my next track tire (unless I cheap-out and get Dunlop Q2s).
Joe
That's funny I was looking at the Q2's because of price to. Also looking at the 190/50 because of price. I do like the Diablo sp though and so far I've gotten 1 trackday and about 2000 miles and they still look fine. That's longer than I've been reading with other riders.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have Diablo Supercorsas (180 rear) on my 999. The tires were new when I bought the bike used. I've put almost 700 miles on them. Since the bike is new to me, the throttle is mostly pinned and I ride GMR to Mt. Baldy exclusively. One turn after another. The tires look new. I have chuffed them to within 1/4 of the edge, but I'm still trying to rid myself of the chix strips. I love the Supercorsas and depending on how they continue to wear will seriously consider sticking with them.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
It could be the bike too. I have Dunlop D211GP on my 1198S and 996. I have 1/8 of chicken strip on the 996, but no strip on the 1198. The 996 is primary my track bike and I ride it very hard. I do track the 1198 as well I don't ride it like I ride the 996, the 1198 has no chicken strip both bikes has the same tires.

·
9,757 Posts
I've had a 160 on my motard, and I ran it to the edge just as easy as the 180/55 on my 748s and the 190/55 on my 1098s. The 150 I put on after was rounder, but as soon as I got used to it I ran that to the edge too.

ps, people shouldn't be so concerned with chicken strips. Only noobs talk about chicken strips.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
15 Posts
you've gone too far when.......

your frame sliders are sliding
your bar ends are sliding
you and the bike are sliding separately

OK, seriously I swapped back and forth between 190/ & 190/55 all last season at the track, and never noticed much difference. you should be fine with either.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

your frame sliders are sliding
your bar ends are sliding
you and the bike are sliding separately
"I've got it, I've got it, I've got it"
"woops"
:scrape:

LOL :rolleyes:

Usually that doesn't happen because you ran out of tire, usually that happens because you ran out of talent. :D

I believe in the motorcycle world its a handlebar to seat interface issue. LOL :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Well, my SS and ST2 have no chicken strips riding 2-up, but slight ones riding solo, as does my 999R.

So, does that mean I get better lean angles two-up?

Meanwhile, my LeMans with an AM23 130/70 on a 4" rim never had chicken strips, but with an AM26 140/70 (despite the size, actually the same width) has chicken strips.

What does this mean?

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts