Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If anyone had this problem before or have a clue what could be the cause please HELP :p

I have the 2010 1198S from more than a year, I had buy the bike used, but in mint condition with 4500 miles on it.
Works perfect, pulls like a train, never had a problem with it, except this one, from the beginning.

I have a shorai battery. With the engine cold, even in the winter at let say 30 deg the bike starts without any problem. When the engine is warm 190+ I have to give it a little gas all the time for the engine to start, and even so is starting way more heavy than cold. Also, it tends to stall for the first 2-3 seconds and I have to keep the gas open for a while.
Last weekend I have stopped for gas and after fueling the bike didn't want to start at all. I have kept trying for a couple of minutes but nothing. Whent inside the gas station, bought a drink, sit down for 10 minutes, return to the bike and it has start from the first attempt.
I am mechanically inclined, and I have solved a lot of problems on my bikes, but this one I do not have any clue what could be.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Have a good one ;)

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
No throttle while cranking if it's been ridden. I wonder if the TB need balancing. What's the idle when warm? Does it smell of gas? When you come to a stop do you blip the throttle when down shifting?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that I wasn't suppose to help with throttle at cranking when the engine is warm, but it doesn't start if not. If the engine is cold it does.
It is odd because the engine works perfect. It could be running to rich?
I would take the bike to the dealer for a tuneup, but the thing is that I do not trust them. From the experience I know that they would not do anything on the bike except charging me. I am really disappointed about the ducati dealer in my area.
I am not bleeping the throttle when down shifting, I let the slipper take care of that.
The idle is somewhere at 11 hundred when warm I think. I would have to verify that to be sure
Last time when it wouldn't want to fire up it looked like it didn't had any spark. The engine would turn without any hassle, no backfire, no trying, no nothing.
I can not understand why it is doing that only when warm.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe the problem lies with the small gauge Batt Terminals and Ground Terminal wires. I used to have a similar problem on my 916; upgraded the Terminals and the problem went away. Unfortunately, the 1098, 1198 series has the same small gauge wires. Heat acts like a diode very removing energy during the start and you need an 8 ga wire to handle the heat. Ducat should address this issue someday.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I've already told you like 5 times that it's running rich.:rolleyes:

;)
That's why I asked if it smelled of gas....sometimes if I go to shut my 999 off after coming off flogging it, it will be hard to start. Have you pulled the plugs, pull em' clean them up w/ contact cleaner, dry them and install-see what happens.
Is it backfiring?...you might have to bite the bullet and talk w/ your dealer.... w/o offending them....let them know if it isn't fixed, the bill won't be paid...Period! If I had a Ducati dealer that I didn't fully trust nor could find one w/in reasonable limits. I would sell my Ducati w/ out a doubt. If you can't enjoy it why the heck own it....ownership shouldn't be that way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used to have the same problem on my M1100. Removed the evap canister and the issue went away. Someone told me this is due to the canister getting saturated with gas fumes and richening up the mixture too much when starting, hence the need to crack the throttle open a bit. Wether that explanation is true or not, it worked.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to have the same problem on my M1100. Removed the evap canister and the issue went away. Someone told me this is due to the canister getting saturated with gas fumes and richening up the mixture too much when starting, hence the need to crack the throttle open a bit. Wether that explanation is true or not, it worked.
Evap canister was the first thing I have removed from my bike after the forks reflectors :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's why I asked if it smelled of gas....sometimes if I go to shut my 999 off after coming off flogging it, it will be hard to start. Have you pulled the plugs, pull em' clean them up w/ contact cleaner, dry them and install-see what happens.
Is it backfiring?...you might have to bite the bullet and talk w/ your dealer.... w/o offending them....let them know if it isn't fixed, the bill won't be paid...Period! If I had a Ducati dealer that I didn't fully trust nor could find one w/in reasonable limits. I would sell my Ducati w/ out a doubt. If you can't enjoy it why the heck own it....ownership shouldn't be that way.
Actually I think that if I let the bike idle for a little time and shut her off it seems to help with the start. Damn ... MH seems to be right again :p I hate that :))))))
It is not backfiring; when it is working it is working really well. :p
I have all the plastics off right now for preparing a race fairing set so it seems a really good time to check the spark plugs to.
I will talk with the dealer also to tune the mixture and TPO. I really like the mechanic from the ducati dealer, he seems to know what hi's doing, but I have a hard time with the service manager.
ZDM, I will not sell my 1198 or 1100MS even if the last Ducati dealer will be on another continent. I love those two bikes to the point that I do not care if I will have to fix them myself :D
Thanks for your involvement guys. I really appreciate it!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Actually I think that if I let the bike idle for a little time and shut her off it seems to help with the start. Damn ... MH seems to be right again :p I hate that :))))))
It is not backfiring; when it is working it is working really well. :p
I have all the plastics off right now for preparing a race fairing set so it seems a really good time to check the spark plugs to.
I will talk with the dealer also to tune the mixture and TPO. I really like the mechanic from the ducati dealer, he seems to know what hi's doing, but I have a hard time with the service manager.
ZDM, I will not sell my 1198 or 1100MS even if the last Ducati dealer will be on another continent. I love those two bikes to the point that I do not care if I will have to fix them myself :D
Thanks for your involvement guys. I really appreciate it!
I understand your passion for the brand..I have the Ducati bug too. But if I had to drive more than 4 hrs to get the thing serviced forget it. I guess if it didn't cause me issues I wouldn't mind. If the thing was constantly in need of fixing this or that...forget it. I would rather own a Japanese brand. Fortunately for me there's one Ducati dealer w/in 10 minutes, the other w/in 35....w/a Japanese/BMW dealer in between!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts