Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
This has probably all been done before, but this is my first post so please bare with me.I am just about to pick up my new 1198s.I want to have slip on Termis fitted, are they the same as are fitted to the 1098 ?? is it better to have them done on the 1st service when the motor is bedded in ??

Thanks Wazza.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I suspect the cans themselves are the same Wazza but the ECU would be different to the 1098 doesn't really matter getting the cans fitted from new makes no difference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you're buying the Termi's through your dealer then you will have to wait for the first service for them to put them on. They normally won't put them on before hand per Ducati's instructions. The 1198S kit comes complete with the ECU, cans and filter.

If you replace just the cans you are going to have to tune the ECU which means you will lose the settings for the traction control.

I let the dealer tell me the process that way I was always covered for warranty.

I booked the bike in for it's first service when I picked it up. I then put 980k's on it in 2 days. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1198s exhaust

Hi guys,
Thanks for the info,Onsong, it sounds like we are from the same part of the world,yes the dealer has given me the same advice thanks.

How is your bike going ?? this will be my second duke, my current ride is a gsxr1000 k8, which i have got to say has been great,differant to the duke of course, but hard to beat if you want that type of bike.

I can't wait to get the 1198s though, and would be interested in your comments, and from anyone who has put a few ks on one.

Wazza.

I booked the bike in for it's first service when I picked it up. I then put 980k's on it in 2 days. :D[/QUOTE]

r them to put them on. They normally won't put them on before hand per Ducati's instructions

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wazza,
Congrats on the bike! I've had my 1198 for about 6 weeks now and love it. Still breaking it in. I'm at 1100 miles, 450 to go. Taking the bike from 6000-7000 rpm woke the bike up a little. I love it. Sounds great with stock exhaust. I will be upgrading to the full termi system shortly. I was told the cans are not the same for the 1098. I haven't heard any 1198 exhaust upgrades in person yet. I hope the termi sounds good. The termi is the only system that won't mess with your o2 sensors. Otherwise you would have to flash your ecu to bypass the warning light. Overall I'm pleased with the bike. The only problem is it's runs way lean from the factory. Has a little trouble starting in the morning and wants to die untill you get to 3000 rpm. I'm in the process of putting my blinkers in the air vents in the tail section. I'll post pics as soon as I'm done. The license plate bracket is a BIT*H to get off without taking your exhaust off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wazza one other thing: There is a fuel line recall make sure the dealer checks that out before you bring it home. there is a label of to the right of your ignition in front of the gas tank underneath the black plastic. if the number is higher than <270-08 and above you need to get it replaced. It will explode on you. Another duc owner with 1198 had it happen to him. everything is fine though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi guys,
Thanks for the info,Onsong, it sounds like we are from the same part of the world,yes the dealer has given me the same advice thanks.

How is your bike going ?? this will be my second duke, my current ride is a gsxr1000 k8, which i have got to say has been great,differant to the duke of course, but hard to beat if you want that type of bike.

I can't wait to get the 1198s though, and would be interested in your comments, and from anyone who has put a few ks on one.

Wazza.

I booked the bike in for it's first service when I picked it up. I then put 980k's on it in 2 days. :D
r them to put them on. They normally won't put them on before hand per Ducati's instructions[/QUOTE]

Wazza, if you don't fall in love with your 11's than you don't have a heart beat. :D :D

This thing pulls power wheelies in 4th gear!!! You'll find the power delivery completely different to your K8. The torque comes in nice and early (2500 - 3000rpm) with the hp around 8000rpm. A tip...don't even try wheelies in 1st gear unless you want to change your undies...nearly flipped it a few times. :eek:

I've now got 4.5k's on mine and I'm still amazed at how many people look at it where ever I go. I've had one woman drag her husband by the hand over to my bike at a servo and say, "see, this is what I was telling you about...screw the R1, buy one of these!"

I'd get your suspension tuned for you by an expert. Mine arrived with the front forks having different settings for preload, compression and rebound for each of the forks. Clearly an issue for the delivery dealer but it happens. I also read a lot of 'wives tales' about the ohlins on the 11's being badged up crap-average suspension...I got my Duc tuned by Stwey Winton of SWR (is the suspension mechanic for Honda Aus Race Team) and he assures me that the OEM suspenders are the real deal.

I've now had the opportunity to play with the DTC and LOVE it! I took Bianca (My Italian SuperModel) to Philip Island for a track day and dialed in the settings that I like. I started at 7 and ended up feeling most comfortable at 3. This allowed me to push hard through the corner with correction happening only when I gave it a big hand full. I now ride on the road with it on 4. It still works occassionally when I give it a hand full on the slippy roads. Again, there are those who will bag the DTC. The way I look at it is, I don't have time to practice my techniques on a track every week and I therefor need any advantage I can get. There are 'traditionalists' and/or green eyed riders who will poo poo it for their personal reasons. With (arguably) 175 - 178 bhp (with new cans/ecu/filters) we mere mortals need some assistance.

I destroyed the OEM tyres in about 1700k's. The Pirelli's are great tyres but I'm not a fan of dual compound given I know how to warm the core of the tyre before pushing them hard. Also, I'm not a fan of Pirelli's in the wet and on cold roads. I've now changed my rubber over to Mich PP's.

Mate, enjoy it, ride it and love it like a mistress!!!:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
installing a exhaust does not void the warranty, only voids the OEM exhaust
Mmm...not sure this is the case in Aus. The factory won't allow the dealers to put the cans on before the first service which tells me that if you do and sh*t happens, they may just choose to void warranty.

You might win the argument...eventually, but for the sake of 1000km's who wants the hastle??

·
Registered
862 Posts
r them to put them on. They normally won't put them on before hand per Ducati's instructions

Wazza, if you don't fall in love with your 11's than you don't have a heart beat. :D :D

I'd get your suspension tuned for you by an expert. Mine arrived with the front forks having different settings for preload, compression and rebound for each of the forks. Clearly an issue for the delivery dealer but it happens. I also read a lot of 'wives tales' about the ohlins on the 11's being badged up crap-average suspension...I got my Duc tuned by Stwey Winton of SWR (is the suspension mechanic for Honda Aus Race Team) and he assures me that the OEM suspenders are the real deal.
D[/QUOTE]

The real deal being they are Ohlins the truth being they are your budget Ohlins which can do with re valving to make them work better.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Mmm...not sure this is the case in Aus. The factory won't allow the dealers to put the cans on before the first service which tells me that if you do and sh*t happens, they may just choose to void warranty.

You might win the argument...eventually, but for the sake of 1000km's who wants the hastle??

Most likely to do with ADR compliance and nothing to do with damage to the motor .

·
Registered
62 Posts

The real deal being they are Ohlins the truth being they are your budget Ohlins which can do with re valving to make them work better.
Agreed...but this is true for any suspension where the rider falls outside the standard deviation of the existing springs, valves and fluids. I weigh 94kg and am medium-fast (1:55s at PI) so the existing set up (just tuned) feels awesome for me.

Valves and springs are relatively inexpensive and easy to change.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Point being the showas on the base 1098 with a bit of work will be as good if not better than the bargain basement Ohlins. I am using the FGRT Ohlins and TTX on my 1098 and the difference between the cheaper stuff is amazing anyway congrats on the 1198 they are a fantastic bike.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I would have the pipes installed when you buy the bike. There's no technical reason that would make it better to wait until the first service, and if you have them installed when you buy the bike they can make any necessary adjustments at the first service.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Point being the showas on the base 1098 with a bit of work will be as good if not better than the bargain basement Ohlins. I am using the FGRT Ohlins and TTX on my 1098 and the difference between the cheaper stuff is amazing anyway congrats on the 1198 they are a fantastic bike.
And you paid how much for this??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
862 Posts
You see I bought the base 1098 and upgraded my suspension and added BST CF rims as well so in reality it cost me around $2000 more than buying the S but made it much much better than a S.

·
Registered
608 Posts
OK, SO I JUST got the TERMI slip ons for my 1198S. KICK a$$. MAKE sure the service dept knows that the cooling fans wont come on while tuning, please use accessory fans to keep this gem cool while adjusting. Keep the originals to dangle off your garage rafters.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Id rather wait for the 600 mile break in. BTW, is the regulated top speed of 186 MPH now non-essential after termi install? I WONT be the one to try it - 160 is fast enough for now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You see I bought the base 1098 and upgraded my suspension and added BST CF rims as well so in reality it cost me around $2000 more than buying the S but made it much much better than a S.
I see...but it will still always only be the base model. Also, upgrading the 1098 might make you competitive against the 1098S. Unfortunately for you the 1198S has excellent rims, suspension that already performs well and will improve better with minor mods, a bucket load more torque/bhp and DTC...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would have the pipes installed when you buy the bike. There's no technical reason that would make it better to wait until the first service, and if you have them installed when you buy the bike they can make any necessary adjustments at the first service.
The reason why Ducati recommends it is to test the stock ECU. It is good to know that it is ok if you some day want to change back to OEM and the warranty has expired.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.