Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1198 engine swap in 848

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  JACKIE TREEHORN 
#1 ·
So today, my buddy lunched the transmission in his 848. It is jammed in between gears 3 and 4 after a downshift on 181. It is jammed in there and there is no moving the lever. So we have come to the conclusion that a motor swap would easier. Has anyone tried putting a 1198 engine in an 848. How much of the harness is the same. the ecu needs a reflash. Need all the help we can get. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
My buddy had the same symptoms on this 1098.
Gear lever stuck solid between two gears, couldn't be moved up nor down.

It was still in warranty, but he was worried that because it was in Track Trim Warranty would be denied.
We changed all back to normal street trim, just to drop it of that the dealer.

Half a day later, dealer called. It was just an adjustment problem of the gear actuation system behind the left engine cover. From the gear leaver to the actual gear selector drum there is quite a mechanical system behind the engine cover. If this is out of adjustment it can get stuck in a position where pushing on the leaver will not move the drum at all.
Certainly worth checking before purchasing a new motor!

#5 ·
I'll take that junk motor off your hands so you can make room for the 1098..............................................................................;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.