Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at the parts diagrams, and although the part numbers between the 1198 and Diavel crank are different, it seems that most everything is a match, including the part numbers for the bearings. The primary gear sprocket is different as well as the stack up on that side. Has anybody tinkered with this idea of using a Diavel crank in an 1198? It's a real pain in the ass to get an 1198 crank and I found a Diavel crank that I'm about to swoop up.

Being that one bike was made with a wet clutch and the other dry, I'm curious on crank issues there, and issues with the primary gear side, and hoping the parts can just swap between the two 100%.

I cannot get a clear answer but need one. Any shops reading that can chime in with the end-all answer?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope to achieve a running engine ?

Weight can be removed, that's no big deal. The rotating assembly needs to be balanced anyway.

Just wanted to know if it will go right in and work with the primary gear on the 1198, which differs from the Diavel one according to the diagram. Also not sure if any other bits will be an issue.

I'm surprised no one has done this since 1198 cranks are hard to find at a reasonable price

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to update:
I used a Diavel crank and had it balanced by Mark Sutton with ARP hardware and the bike runs fantastic now, better than before. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
567 Posts
interesting! thanks for the update.

1198 crank are rare, as people use them in 1098 engine to increase stroke. total displacement is 1147cc if I remember well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just wanted to update:
I used a Diavel crank and had it balanced by Mark Sutton with ARP hardware and the bike runs fantastic now, better than before. No issues whatsoever.
Are you still after a service manual for a 1198. I have just finished converting the online html one to PDF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts