Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so maybe the title is a bit cryptic and I haven't had a time to see whats up but checking on the forum for similar experience or wisdom here.

The clutch reservoir is suddenly empty. I see small indications of a leak below the master cylinder on the fairing (washed off) but no obvious signs of a leak. The slave cylinder and hose from the master is bone-dry. I am wondering if perhaps the reservoir developed a hairline crack or the hose from the reservoir to the master or the master seals just up and died.

The bike has barely over 8K on the odo and the clutch lever went to the bar on a short ride but at least on the way home.

I'll look at it tomorrow sometime and report back but hopefully someone has had the same thing happen.

Weird...but it "is" Italian after all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how do the rebuild kits for the Ducati slaves hold up? My other option is pony up for an aftermarket slave cyl.

OAN, what if behind the slave is dry? The residue was below the handlebar which make me think the master seals went bad and a rebuild kit is around d $25-$30.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So to resurrect this thread (work and family life are way too busy), I pulled the salve and it is bone dry behind it. I checked the master cylinder, hose and reservoir and no signs of cracking. Could the fluid have leaked out of the master? If so, what size piston is it (2011 1198) as they make a 12mm or 13mm rebuild kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Multi Clutch Slave Leak

Remove the slave cylinder and look behind it. You'll see where the fluid went.

Rebuild or replace the slave unit.
I have looked behind my slave and have a leak.
Does anyone know of a kit to repair the slave? It seems wasteful to just throw it away.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
So to resurrect this thread (work and family life are way too busy), I pulled the salve and it is bone dry behind it. I checked the master cylinder, hose and reservoir and no signs of cracking. Could the fluid have leaked out of the master? If so, what size piston is it (2011 1198) as they make a 12mm or 13mm rebuild kit.
If you going to do the repair yourself, pull apart and measure. I always take mine to a clutch and brake shop, they can hone or sleeve if required, clean it all up. If you take it to the shop could ask them to measure piston before you order the kit.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I have looked behind my slave and have a leak.
Does anyone know of a kit to repair the slave? It seems wasteful to just throw it away.
I took my first one, failed from new within a few months, to a duc shop they said just bring it back everytime it fails and they'd replace the seal for me :) Funny stuff.

So I took it to a brake and clutch shop, they didn't like the seal or the slave body, they machined the piston, cut a larger seal recess and put one from a mini. Bored out the slave, and pressed in a stainless sleeve. Never leaked again.

When I bought my 916, it still had the original slave, thankfully, I prefer the original ratio, after market are all soft pull, so don't throw the clutch as far. Took it to the same shop, they did the same again, accept this time a seal from a range rover I think from memory. Fine ever since.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
If you are going to just put a new seal in it, disassemble, clean the slave up well and examine the bore . Many times the bore just needs to be cleaned, nothing more. If you need to do more , use 1000 grit sand paper or 0000 steel wool to polish the bore, then clean it again . I rebuilt my SS with a double seal, dual groove Evoluzione piston and I’ve never had to touch it again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that is an interesting option. I'll definitely look into that possibility. Where did you buy the double seal Evoluzione kit from?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts