Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted a thread like this a couple days back which included a question on oil change. I received great replies mostly on the oil issue and I thank you guys for the advice.
My main question still revolves around the chain tension adjustment on an 1198S. Has anyone w/ 1198/1198S tensioned up the chain other than at the dealer? Maybe 1098 is same set up (the wrench type etc). Looking to tighten my chain as needed (real soon - 2500 odometer). Love to hear any input.
Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does it need it?

I got the 1198s in March, and have about 2k miles on the clock. You could call the riding a ... "reserved aggression" style, mixed in with normal riding. I put a set of dial calipers up to measure the chain after I'd loosened the pinch bolts, but it didn't need adjusting... Still, it hasn't needed adjusting.

Now, YMMV. This is my first Duc, and I'm used to big, heavy & powerful bikes requiring frequent chain adjusting. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reply to Smurfslayer

Mr SmurfS,
Yeh, it needs adjusting, but not much. Maybe 3/4" slack in chain to 1". I did get a chain tool online - sometime its gonna have to be tensioned. I ride pretty hard - got mine 1198S in Feb right after they came out - 2400 miles on it. So anyway, loosen pinch bolts and use spanner wrench to cam tension?
Pardon my abbreviation skills (i know most though...) BUT what is YMMV?

·
comrade moderator
26,976 Posts
YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

I can't give you specifics on exactly how to adjust your chain, but I would like to chime in here and recommend you run your chain looser rather than tighter. When in doubt, leave it be.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The chain slack is posted on the side of the swingarm and IIRC it's 33-35mm. I mentioned not having adjusted my chain to my local Duc mechanic and he wasn't too concerned; neither am I really. Previous posters have all been correct CR about the ymmv meaning & that it should be loose, rather than tight. A loose chain will only wear a little faster, a tight chain strains parts and eventually something will break or fail.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys answered it, and made complete sense - hell, we're dealing w/ an infant here (2400 miles). Thanks for the acronym analysis Cracer.
Once again, the forum bolsters the best inputs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts