Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be very little negative about the 1198/1198S models being put out there at the forum. I am close todoing a 23k and just wanted to know if there are any "quirks" with this bike that would be good to watch for? After getting a Sport Classic bike, I just want to know if there are things that may fall off, warranty issues, recalls or expanding fuel tanks from American fuel. Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Nothing so far EXCEPT a very rare (I think) fuel tank leak from one (factory) overtightened or stripped mounting screw. Noticed it 300 miles into the ownership. Ducati fixed it N/C of course. Took two weeks though! imagine leaving your brand new beauty contest winner at the dealer while ya wait for a new tank. GET this, they (ACE in Concord, CA) took the replacement off a showroom 1198S for me after the two week complaint...
Termi install (half-system slips) went well, if ya do that, installer has to know that the cooler fans wont come on during the mapping (mine at Munroe hmm, took a bit to find out).
Other than that, be prepared to be amazed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Radiator leak

1198 in the shop at 2,600 miles with a radiator leak. One week already and counting. Part is back-ordered, just at the beginning of the fall riding season here in Texas :mad:

Dealership is helping me with a loaner bike, but I miss my 1198...... a lot.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
1198 in the shop at 2,600 miles with a radiator leak. One week already and counting. Part is back-ordered, just at the beginning of the fall riding season here in Texas :mad:

Dealership is helping me with a loaner bike, but I miss my 1198...... a lot.

4400 miles and same here. Leaking on top left hand corner, spoke with dealer and they said this is a known problem, just bring the bike it. I thought I busted or punctured the radiator, but the fins are perfect.

·
Go for it!
461 Posts
4400 miles and same here. Leaking on top left hand corner, spoke with dealer and they said this is a known problem, just bring the bike it. I thought I busted or punctured the radiator, but the fins are perfect.
I had my '08 1098 radiator replaced (around 8K miles) as well. The micro crack was at the same location.

Just google all the 1198 recalls. Sometimes the dealers aren't aware of the recalls.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The radiator issue was something we ran into a bit, but not much. This is why there will be no recall on it. They know of it but don't want to take on the expensive project of recalling all of them. Besides, not all radiators are having the issue, and like I said, it is a rare item of warranty. You'll hear a lot of it, but the percentage if it happening to you versus the number of bikes out there is minimal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts