Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime I go out on my Monster, I find myself tweaking the suspension. My settings are way off what the manual says. Im about 150 with gear , and if I used the manuals settings i would have been ejected off the bike @ 30mph
Dang it was stiff
heres what im using fork- c- 4 clicks reb 6 clicks

shock 5 clicks

anyone around the same ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, my 1100S was way too stiff - I softened both ends and it GREATLY improved the ride withoth harming the handling on the street

·
Registered
180 Posts
I find the suspension to stiff for my 165 lbs. I've backed the preload off the rear and the front but without any numbers it was a shot in the dark. I need to know the proper sag specs. You don't find alot of info other than what mirrors or levers should I get.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
About 30 mm total sag (rider on board) front and rear is about right for most folks on the street. But it is a common misconception that adjusting the sag will make the suspension stiffer or softer - it absolutely will not. Reducing preload pretty much just lowers the bike - the amount of spring compression is exactly the same. Actually, since modern bikes all have rising rate linkages, reducing rear preload actually makes the suspension a tad *stiffer*.

If it is too harsh, fettling with the damping adjustments can certainly make a huge difference, but if you are particularly light then installing springs with lower spring rates might be necessary to really get an optimum setup. It's not particulaly expensive, ($100 to $150 each end) although I believe the Monster 1100 uses a progressive wind spring in the rear, which complicates things just a little.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I should have been more clear. I'm not one who feels preload has anything to do with suppleness or lack there of. I was refering to rear ride height as I feel the handling is off on my 1100. The bike to me anyway feels unsettled and nervous entering corners, I've owned many bikes, including the 696 wich inspire more confidence in cornering situations. My 1200 Goldwing feels better dragging the center stand than my 1100, Thanks for the suggestions for sag.
KTM has an excellent method for finding the proper spring rate for you. You set the static/ unloaded sag first and then sit on the bike. If with your weight on it you can't achieve the proper loaded sag then the spring is wrong for your weight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I will have to take a better look into my settings but you all make me feel fat. I'm 190 then with gear I get up to 215....

Good point though that its really stiff, my wife had said she thought it was to tough when she got on mine.

Thanks for that chart, good info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts