Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm using Tuneecu on an android pad to improve the maps on my hyper.
My bike was a US import. It had the US OEM map 22ABLH06 loaded.
I'd never riden a hyper before but heard they were great fun . I've had dozens of bikes over the years, and the most impressive low/mid range bike was a Honda XR650R single cylinder supermotard with high flow filter, race pipes and timing slightly advanced. This hyper isn't as responsive low to mid range as the Honda although still pretty good. The last bike I had was a Suzuki TL1000s which was manic and aggressive in the power department and I loved it. So perhaps I am wrongly compairing bikes that are totally in a different department . I just feel the low to mid range should be more aggressive. The bike seems like the characteristics of a 500cc rather than a 1100.
Anyway.... I uploaded a 22AABA9SHB4 map from the Ducati TuneEcu library (2 into 1 termig setup) which I think is the closest one to my setup from the limited map choice. I disabled the 02 sensor.
I then reset the TPS via the software. The TPS reads 3.4 when shut off and 85% when fully open. Before I installed the map it was 2.6 - 85. This seems odd ?
The bike ran Much better. The riding on and under 50kms per hour is so smooth now. The bike acts as before as regards to mid range and up to 135kms per hour ( pulls nice and quick but not overley impressive ). The pipe seems a little louder too.
One thing I did notice is both the OEM and the termig map have big dips ( I'm guessing retarded spots) in the I2 table. Can these be smoothed out with success ?
I could pull up the fuel curve earlier on the F1 and F2 maps but I'm guessing the injection maps might be more of an issue ?.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Anyway.... I uploaded a 22AABA9SHB4 map from the Ducati TuneEcu library (2 into 1 termig setup) which I think is the closest one to my setup from the limited map choice. I disabled the 02 sensor.
I then reset the TPS via the software. The TPS reads 3.4 when shut off and 85% when fully open. Before I installed the map it was 2.6 - 85. This seems odd ?
The bike ran Much better. The riding on and under 50kms per hour is so smooth now. The bike acts as before as regards to mid range and up to 135kms per hour ( pulls nice and quick but not overley impressive ). The pipe seems a little louder too.
One thing I did notice is both the OEM and the termig map have big dips ( I'm guessing retarded spots) in the I2 table. Can these be smoothed out with success ?
I could pull up the fuel curve earlier on the F1 and F2 maps but I'm guessing the injection maps might be more of an issue ?.
The TPS values will be degrees, not %

The dips - do not be tempted to smooth them manually, it is not a good way to do things and I expect you will be disappointed.

Can you connect to the ECU with IAW5X Reader and Writer? Here GuzziDiag / IAWDiag

Options are Win, Linux and OSX.

Back in 2016 T_bare was logging TP, RPM, AFR and more real data via ScanST then plugged that into my analysis workbook to develop a better base (horizontal) map and offset (vertical) map. Todd's bike is is 2008 HM1100S with Ducshop velocity stacks and full Arrow exhaust.

In the attached file this is a log of bin 12 and the following applies after filtering out data compared to the target AFR values set in my workbook.

Pale blue is 0 - 2% rich. Pale orange is 0 - 2% lean. Pale red is 2 - 5% lean. Plae green is 2 - 5% rich.
Orange is >5% lean. Dark green is >5% rich.

If you can use the IAW suite of software, the Punch HM1100 t_bare data bin 15.bin.pdf is the last file developed. Just remove the .pdf and you have the bin file.
It could still do with a bit of "work" but Todd seems happy.

Attachments

Reactions: t_bare

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Let me know if I can help.

t_bare

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK. Ironed out the negative peaks with TuneEcu and I'm really pleased with the difference. I can trundle along at 50kms/hr without problems now. The bike accelerates a lot smoother and slightly quicker than before too.
I've noticed the front sprocket is a 14T. The rear is 42T. To me the existing gearing is still too tall. Still lacks bottom end grunt that an 1100 should have. I guess I'm expecting far too much from this bike but I'm happy with it for now. Maybe race cams might improve and a dyno tune.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How were you able to get the software to recognize your ECU?? I Have a marelli 5am (08 hyper 1100s / DP cams race ECU w 2-1 termi). I’ve tried guzzidiag / IAWDiag / TuneECU on both windows and android, but the bikes information will never load, Is my ECU locked? I have the obd2 with the correct drivers installed for windows / patched to a 4pin adapter that’s plugged into my diagnostics port under the seat (the 4 port Ducati diagnostics plug is split off the main wiring harness). Trickle charger on my battery as well from my garages AC outlet. Is this what you did or is there another spot to plug into to read/ write to the ECU?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You want to be using a Fiat 3 pin to ODB2 adaptor and that connection is right next to the ECU under the right hand fairing (sitting on bike). Are you plugging into the Ducati Data port under the seat? That's not what you want.

t_bare

Reactions: Moin

·
Registered
10 Posts
What t_bare says. You'll need extra +12V for the OBD-II adaptor.
And the Windows version of TuneECU doesn't work with the 5AM maps, only the Android one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
And I couldn't get the Mac version of Guzzi/IAW diag to work with High Sierra. Works fine with Vista though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was initially plugging into the Ducati DDA 4 port under the seat, I then bought the FIAT 3 pin adapter, tried to connect by plugging into the ECU port under the right side fairing, and still no luck.. Im not sure what the deal is, I ordered another OBD link from amazon, if it still doesnt work then I am out of luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was initially plugging into the Ducati DDA 4 port under the seat, I then bought the FIAT 3 pin adapter, tried to connect by plugging into the ECU port under the right side fairing, and still no luck.. Im not sure what the deal is, I ordered another OBD link from amazon, if it still doesnt work then I am out of luck.
I went through like 3 OBD to USB cables from amazon that supposedly had the right chipset, none of them worked. Get the lonelec ones. Also check the pinning on your fiat connector, I've heard about some that come wired wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen a few online, do you have a link to the correct one? (For the Marelli 5am - Fiat / OBD pinouts).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally able to connect using the KKL VAG OBD adapter, turns out that I have the "best" marelli map, would anyone know of a link / directory that has "modified" trims on the Ducati maps?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts