Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have some questions. I have a Hypermotard S right now and I'm trading it in for a Monster 1100S in the next month or so. I'm wondering how the Monster does in town?

My Hyper S is completely stock and it's not that great around town. It doesn't like to run smoothly below 3500 rpm and it surges from idle to 3000 with a very small throttle opening. It makes the bike kind of annoying to ride around town.

The Monster I'm getting will have the Termi slip on kit installed and I'll regear the bike as well. I'm hoping that this, along with the motor updates, will make the bike easier to ride around town.

Can any M1100 owners chime in?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not by much,mines not happy below 3500,same basic engine so not much difference,the 4v water cooled enginges like the streetfighters are much smoother,i would get a long test ride before making your decision as good as the monster is just as lumpy round town.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Hey,

I have some questions. I have a Hypermotard S right now and I'm trading it in for a Monster 1100S in the next month or so. I'm wondering how the Monster does in town?
Pretty Much what you're experiencing now, which makes sense as
you'll mostly be scooting the same motor.
The bike just likes to run more than you'll likely be able to do
in most urban settings. The folks at Ducati take pride in a new lighter clutch.
I think it probably is lighter but it really doesn't feels so after the 200th pull around town. If you're going to be doing a whole lot of urban assault, give consideration to a Street triple... incredible motor with turbine like power across the rev range and no hunting at lower revs.

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard 1100S
59 Posts
Have you regeared your Hyper? Up one in the front? I agree, its a little snatchy stock, but better than my speed triples were(not sure about "street 675" )the fan was constantly kicking on and clutch pull was worse, those bikes like to run too. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
312 Posts
same motor as in your hyper, I would of course test ride the 1100, to see if you are truly in love with it, otherwise I would re gear your hyper, throw slipons on it, and save a few grand. Then you can latter ADD to your garage, as apposed to trading in on something

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do understand that the motor is the same and that it will be similar in that regard. I was more wondering if the exhaust and gearing will make a difference?

I've heard that the bikes become much easier to ride once the Termi system is installed and the fueling is sorted out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Monster 1100 doesn't like low revs either. I find myself having to slip the clutch on first all the time when riding in the city. Mind you I have only had a few days of experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My m1100 s also wasn't happy with low revs in town but with the termi slipons it's much better. I don't know yet if the full system helps even more. I ordered it but my store made a mistake and put on the slipons instead. Now I'm waiting on the full to come in and replace the slipons :).

·
Registered
90 Posts
My m1100 s also wasn't happy with low revs in town but with the termi slipons it's much better. I don't know yet if the full system helps even more. I ordered it but my store made a mistake and put on the slipons instead. Now I'm waiting on the full to come in and replace the slipons :).

That is good to know. I am contemplating getting the Termis slip-ons as a cure for both the stalling issue I have and the low speed rideability. The sound of the standard can is good enough for me but unfortunately I may need to spend the money for other reasons! Let me know how you go with the full system as well. It's not legal here but I may still consider that if it is a lot better!

·
Registered
282 Posts
That is good to know. I am contemplating getting the Termis slip-ons as a cure for both the stalling issue I have and the low speed rideability. The sound of the standard can is good enough for me but unfortunately I may need to spend the money for other reasons! Let me know how you go with the full system as well. It's not legal here but I may still consider that if it is a lot better!
If you think termi slip-ons will cure low RPM or stalling problems you're throwing your money out the window. If anything, it will be running leaner than in stock form.

·
Registered
56 Posts
crushed nuts

one thing I haven't seen addressed in this thread, is the nut-crusher aspect. I haven't ridden the new 1100 yet, but I've seen in a number of reviews that the angle of the seat and general ergos do put your bits right on the tank, which can be uncomfortable when you're doing a lot of stop-and-go at traffic lights, etc...

so if you get a test ride, be sure to take note of whether you think that will be an issue or not :eek:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there is a comfort touring seat being sold (I think by Ducati) that apparently cures this problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
one thing I haven't seen addressed in this thread, is the nut-crusher aspect. I haven't ridden the new 1100 yet, but I've seen in a number of reviews that the angle of the seat and general ergos do put your bits right on the tank, which can be uncomfortable when you're doing a lot of stop-and-go at traffic lights, etc...

so if you get a test ride, be sure to take note of whether you think that will be an issue or not :eek:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there is a comfort touring seat being sold (I think by Ducati) that apparently cures this problem.
The only thing I don't like about my S4RS is it has the ability to make my nuts feel as if I am crushing them in a book after about 50 miles.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
If you think termi slip-ons will cure low RPM or stalling problems you're throwing your money out the window. If anything, it will be running leaner than in stock form.
Exactly.
If you're having stalling issues, the mapping may be off to begin with.
It's a new bike. It shouldn't be stalling on you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would imagine what really helps most other ducati's would be the same. Dropping down to a 14T front sproket, or going 2 up in the rear. M696 owners raved about it, Ive still yet to do it as I dont find the below 3K jerkness to be a big problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm confused,

Can we talk speed in mph and lets just assume first gear. If you're in first gear driving around town how fast do you have to go before you can let out the clutch completely?

Since I'll more than likely be getting a 1100 I want to know, also if anyone on a 696 wants to reply I'd appreciate that as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 696, and feel it's a great bike for getting out and running through the hills and twisties. A lot of times, coming back on my ride, there's a ton of traffic, and that makes for a very uncomfortable ride back, being as I'm a bit worn out by the ride already.

My bike has the touring seat, and while it certainly is better than the stock setup, I still wearing padded bike riding shorts underneath the pants for added comfort. :rolleyes: 14 Tooth sprocket was swapped in at the 600mi service and greatly helps slow riding speeds...as well as releasing the clutch.

For the record, I'm 6' tall - 180lbs all geared up. I have a decent reach, but my wrists tend to get sore quickly at slow speeds no matter how tightly my legs grasp the tank. :eek:

Good luck to you, the 1100s must be a blast to ride. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 696, and feel it's a great bike for getting out and running through the hills and twisties. A lot of times, coming back on my ride, there's a ton of traffic, and that makes for a very uncomfortable ride back, being as I'm a bit worn out by the ride already.

My bike has the touring seat, and while it certainly is better than the stock setup, I still wearing padded bike riding shorts underneath the pants for added comfort. :rolleyes: 14 Tooth sprocket was swapped in at the 600mi service and greatly helps slow riding speeds...as well as releasing the clutch.

For the record, I'm 6' tall - 180lbs all geared up. I have a decent reach, but my wrists tend to get sore quickly at slow speeds no matter how tightly my legs grasp the tank. :eek:

Good luck to you, the 1100s must be a blast to ride. :)

Crushed nut - I don't think the 1100 is anywhere as bad as the 696. The first time I sat on the 696 without even riding it, I felt very uncomfortable in the nut region! The seat on the 1100 is slightly raised at the front section which truly helps. But what I find when riding is that I am sitting far enough behind that I am ok, and under hard braking I just make sure that I grip the tank hard to avoid the crushing feeling. It really isn't that bad at all.

Stalling - My dealer service manager told me that a lot of Ducatis have this problem early on and it goes away. He said he is happy for me to bring it in, but he advises that I keep riding till the 1000km service and see how I go. I can't be stuffed brining it in so I am persisting and it seems to be getting better after 450km. I really don't want to spend the money on the Termis right now so I think I will see how I go.

Slow speed - at below 3000rpm the engine really vibrates hard when you try to take off. But this can be avoided by gentle feeding of power. It is very annoying. I rode a friend's inline 4 GSX1400 yesterday and boy how smooth is that thing! All the way from 2000rpm it is smooth as silk. Yeah don't ever expect a V-twin to behave like that, but at the same time I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to pull away cleanly at 3000rpm! Anyone with a 1100 tried the 14T front?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts