Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of threads about the 1100 stalling, but it seems like everything I've seen has people talking about stalling at idle. Today I was getting off the highway and as I was decelerating and downshifting down the off ramp, the bike just stalled at about 50 mph?? Has anyone had this problem? I'm sure it was just a fluke, but it would be a little scary if this happened in traffic.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sounds like frozen carbs ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Happened to me once so far in a similar situation as I was decelerating at about 35 MPH. Had anyone been behind me it could have gotten interesting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Never had this happen to me (thank god!). I would immediately bring the bike to the dealer if that happened. Way unsafe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had this happen to me as well once, was decelerating and coming to a stop and it konked out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a sport classic that had a similar problem; it would occasionally stall as I was decelerating to a stop. (Although I don't believe it happened going anywhere near 50 mph.) When I took it in for the first service, they couldn't find anything off. Believe it or not, a simple switch to iridium spark plugs solved the problem. The stalling problem never came close to happening again. Someone said that it might have been just a bad plug to begin with, and that even just a change to non-iridium plugs might have solved it. Sounds to good and simple to be true, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stalling at speed (between shifts) can happen because the RPMs drop too quickly. To prevent it, you would simply turn your bleed screws to the left (counter-clockwise.) They are the gold screws which take a flat-head screwdriver and are located on the left and right sides (ends) of the throttle body. Just make sure to turn them the same amount each.

They have a dob of paint on them, though, so you may want to have the dealer do it if you're worried about your warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 1100 had this stalling problem. When I did the 600 mile service after the first week, the dealer said they "reset throttle position sensor." It hasn't stalled since (the bike now has about 2000 miles).

I still love this bike, but in less than a month of ownership, it developed 3 problems: stalling at throttle release, oil leak on the left side, and engine light (EXVL error). Sure, all of them are easy fixes, but shouldn't new Ducatis be more reliable than this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 1100 had this stalling problem. When I did the 600 mile service after the first week, the dealer said they "reset throttle position sensor." It hasn't stalled since (the bike now has about 2000 miles).

I still love this bike, but in less than a month of ownership, it developed 3 problems: stalling at throttle release, oil leak on the left side, and engine light (EXVL error). Sure, all of them are easy fixes, but shouldn't new Ducatis be more reliable than this?
Ummm, what did they charge you for that? I believe the the M696 and M1100 TPS is reset automatically everytime the bike is turned on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ummm, what did they charge you for that? I believe the the M696 and M1100 TPS is reset automatically everytime the bike is turned on.
Correct. From what I understand, three cycles of the key-on resets the TPS automatically--there's no need for the dealer to do it.

Either vrrm's just been lucky lately, or the dealer did something else.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Had this happen once (stalled) whilst down shifting for a bend around 500 miles not happened since 700 miles on clock now. - M1100S

·
Registered
19 Posts
All the repairs have been under warranty, so there's no charge. It's less than 2 months old with about 2000 miles.

I'm hoping these will be the last repairs for a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Correct. From what I understand, three cycles of the key-on resets the TPS automatically--there's no need for the dealer to do it.

Either vrrm's just been lucky lately, or the dealer did something else.
I didn't know about the 3 cycle key-on reset. Thank you. I may just be lucky right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As per my comment in the other similar thread. ALL FIXED. :eek:
New ECM fitted this morning. No more stalling or cutting out. Finally I can start getting used to this bike without worrying if it will turn off again mid corner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts