Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
I am looking for some info from you gents who have ponied up the funds for the 1100 in recent months. To give you a little back ground so you know why I am asking.

I have been an ongoing Ducati owner and motorcyclist for 21+ years. I have been fortunate to own three Ducatis in the most recent years. The last Ducati I owned was 2004 Multi, it was a fine motorcycle in many ways.
At any rate I went with another brand and I have made the decision that it is time to return.

I have reached that point in life where I still can go fast, still like to go fast, but don't like my 6-4" back breaking in the process. If I had to do it over I would have kept the Mulit and we would not need to have this conversation but such is life.

I was looking at several brands and bikes but the over all them is streetable, fun and most of all usable. From the Ducati side I was looking at the GT 1000 but I have a very hard time getting over the huge gap at the rear wheel, I did not mention that looks do play a part. I could get over this and thought that if I made the jump I would fit the sport rear on the bike and be done with it. Then I got to looking at the new 1100 and saw that the ergo's are nearly the same and it has a little more hp and little less weight, seems like a winning siuation. It looks as though the bars can be changed out with out much issue in case I want to move the configuration a little.

My questions are as follows:

How usable is the bike? I ride 100 miles round trip to work and rode the multi 14K in the first year.
How comfortible is the bike, the seat looks slanted forward and this is not good for 6-4" I know this can be changed but if I spring for the bike funding will be limited for a while.
Has anyone modified or read about modifying the stock cans? This has to be an option.

I apprecaite your help,
Brian

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had my 1100s for about a month and have put 800 miles on it already. I've been riding sportbikes for 12 years. This is my first monster and my second Ducati. Last one was a 748.

I really enjoy riding the monster. The thing feels like it's on rails and simply goes where I point it. It's very flickable. It has enough power to run with everything but superbikes on the street, although I can never get enough HP. If the SF didn't look so futuristic, I probably would have picked that up.

The bike for me is very comfortable, although many people have complained of groin pains. I'm 5'8". If you're tall and looking for comfort, ask the dealer to throw in the DP comfort seat. The whole reason I moved to the monster is due to a back and neck injury from when I was in the military. I needed something a little friendlier to my spine. I am very pleased with the posture coming from riding superbikes.

As for the exhaust, there are several options for aftermarket pipes, and more coming out each day. If you're looking to modify the existing cans, I can't really offer any advice.

Overall I am extremely pleased with my bike. I've modded almost everything that I wanted to make better (rearsets, levers, etc...) and my only wish now is for more HP...but that's because I'm a power addict. I'm holding out for a few more months before I shell out for an exhaust system to see what the other manufacturers offer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just picked up my 1100 the other day and took it on a 400 mile round trip to Michigan yesterday and today. I'm about 6'1" and it was pretty comfortable. I stopped once on the way up and once on the way back. After about 100 miles I was definitely ready for a quick break, but overall it was pretty good. My only complaint is how the seat is slanted forward, but it's not that bad. I absolutely love the bike, it really does feel like it's on rails compared to my previous bike, 07 Monster S4RS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you folks for the helpful perspective regarding your experience. I think I am going to go for it once I sell my current bike. I am pretty stingy so I may try and hold out for used one but well see how long it takes to sell the current bike and how bad the itch is as that time.

Brian

·
Registered
156 Posts
Like everyone says BUT it SUCKS two up with the standard seat you find your pillion is always sliding into you crushing you against the tank. Other than this the bike is awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts