Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Hyper1100 EVO

Mileage: 10K

Mods:
Fresco Full Exhaust
Corse Dynamics Velocity Stacks
Power Commander V

So I haven't been riding a whole lot the past couple years, very sporadic. Took the bike out on a long ride for the first time in the past 1-2yrs...rode for 3-4 hours. Heres what happened on that first long ride.

- After a short warmup, I rode for about 5 minutes to the interstate. Just as I was pulling out into traffic...the bike dies. Thankfully it started back up after a couple of tries. After that...I had no issues during the whole day. At the time, I was thinking it was just old gas and I didn't let the engine warm up long enough.

Fast forward to today...After cleaning and greasing my clutch plates, I thought I'd test it out. I noticed the bike was having a VERY, VERY hard time starting...harder than usually. Sometimes the engine would fire up, idle for a bit then die...Other times the engine wouldn't even fire up and just turn-over (sometimes not even turn-over). When it wasn't turning over....I noticed a little white smoke coming up from between the tank and handlebars (right where my air filters are). I've never seen this before and I couldn't exactly find out where it was coming from. It happened twice in about 15 mins.

Now it eventually fired up with some throttle, and I managed to drive it down the street being careful to not let the engine come to an idle. Everything seemed normal.

I know this these motors are notorious for low idling and needing to be warmed up but today it struggled badly and the white smoke really concerns me.

FYI: I did just put in a very cheap new battery...but I don't think these issues stem from that. Other than that...I haven't done any modifications. Oil still looks good (Light brown), Oil filter is almost brand new. The only thing I need to do as far as maintenance is clean the air filters.

Any insight would be appreciated...thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
Do you now have fresh fuel in the bike? Did the old gas at least have stabilizer in it? What do the plugs look like? It is hard on a bike just parking it and not preparing it properly for that purpose. Was it stored safe from rodents? Lots can happen it two years.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you now have fresh fuel in the bike? Did the old gas at least have stabilizer in it? What do the plugs look like? It is hard on a bike just parking it and not preparing it properly for that purpose. Was it stored safe from rodents? Lots can happen it two years.
As far as the gas goes....I'm sure it was old. But anytime I store the bike, I always put in some Seafoam and during that long ride, I filled up 3 times while also putting more Seafoam in it. Good idea on the plugs, I'm gonna check on those today.

Many posible causes. But don't discard the small things

I experienced a similar issue (going dead and not starting randomly) and the problem was the sidestand switch.
Really....That could be it with mine considering my bike's neutral light doesn't work and the bike won't start with the kickstand down....been like that for a while now. Although it never had this type of problem regardless.

What did you do to fix it?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If the bike won't start with the stand down then the sidestand switch works and is doing its' job. It's not the light that's broken, it's the neutral switch that turns on the light that doesn't work and is keeping the bike from starting with the stand down. 539.1.021.1A or the wire to it. One or the other is hosed.

As far as your starting issues, these motors are tough to start at the best of times. I've got the same engine in my multi, and I am considering the motoelectric starter wiring upgrade... I did the same on my previous bike (900SS) and it made a huge difference. What I notice is that unless the battery is fully charged and strong, the slower revs make it take quite a lot of cranks to start. Hook up a car battery to it and see how quick it starts... big difference.

Add sitting a long time to the equation, and you may have other issues. I'd recommend changing out the gas for fresh and replacing the fuel filter when you've got the tank empty. A partially plugged filter will show up at idle and at WOT while the bike will run more or less normally in the rest of the throttle range.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,255 Posts
Really....That could be it with mine considering my bike's neutral light doesn't work and the bike won't start with the kickstand down....been like that for a while now. Although it never had this type of problem regardless.

What did you do to fix it?
In my case, the sidestand was a bit loose and the switch would work (or not) depending on the position. I noticed that the bike turned off when I rode on a bumpy section of the road back home. I understood what the problem was by manually testing back at home: I had my son holding the clutch lever while the bike was on 1st gear and moved the switch cable with my hand up-down and side-to-side. At some point the bike always died. Fixing it was simple: Tightened the sidestand and replaced the switch.

If the bike won't start with the stand down then the sidestand switch works and is doing its' job. It's not the light that's broken, it's the neutral switch that turns on the light that doesn't work and is keeping the bike from starting with the stand down.
I agree!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I purchased my hyper used, from day one it struggled to start but I just lived with it. Shortly after buying it and doing a few mods I synced the throttle bodies, fires up within no more than 3 cranks ever since. Possibly your tb's are prohibitively out of sync?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thinking out loud here again, if the bike's been sitting a long time maybe the map you had on the PCV has been "lost" and defaulted to a zero map? With a full exhaust and those stacks maybe stock mapping can't handle all that air?Also, have you reset your TPS?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I am going to take dspear99ca advice and change out the fuel filter. How simple of a job is that? Been searching on here but haven't seen anything about it for the Hyper. Just to make sure...this is where the fuel filter is located...correct?

Also I found the neutral light switch. As you can see its pretty toasted in there lol.

Any idea on how I would even get in there to turn it loose? Looks like a sparkplug...but the swingarm rod is directly in the way.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thinking out loud here again, if the bike's been sitting a long time maybe the map you had on the PCV has been "lost" and defaulted to a zero map? With a full exhaust and those stacks maybe stock mapping can't handle all that air?Also, have you reset your TPS?
As far as syncing the throttle bodies and resetting my TPS. Haven't done any of that...wouldn't even know where to begin to do it.

I had my ducati dealer install and dyno the PCV with all the mods I have now and cant remember if they messed the TB or TPS...that was 4-5 years ago. But I wasn't even aware a power commander could lose a map? It runs the same as it did after all the work...only complaint is it backfires on deceleration. I'll have to do some research on playing with the throttle bodies and TPS if its not too difficult.

Here's a picture of my plugs today...Looks a little on the rich side...better than too lean I suppose.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

I think I am going to take dspear99ca advice and change out the fuel filter. How simple of a job is that? Been searching on here but haven't seen anything about it for the Hyper. Just to make sure...this is where the fuel filter is located...correct?

No, fuel filter is in the tank.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

Under that cover is the fuel pump flange remove it and you will have the fuel pump assembly
and access to the pre filter at the base of the fuel pump and the fuel filter as well as the
Thermistor if your low fuel light is not working prefect time to fix that as well.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/132039-ran-out-fuel-twice-no-fuel-light-8.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Yes, the filter is in the tank. The first time you need to take the tank off it'll probably take awhile, I can get mine off in about 15 minutes now. You need to siphon the fuel out of the tank before you start, get as much as you can out but you'll never get it all. Your service manual has a nice description of what you need to remove and in what order, on my bike I take off the seat, the seat latch, then from underneath take off the plastic cover over the fuel & electrical connectors on the bottom of the tank. Disconnect the electrical connector and fuel hoses (squeeze the outer plastic ring on either side of the hose and wiggle from side to side as you pull down, i.e. squeeze it into an oval shape, the pointy ends of the ovals will be in line with the hose... this took me a long time to figure out). Remove the vent hoses at mid-tank on the bottom. One bolt underneath at the rear and two bolts in front hold the tank on, lift the back so the fuel pump/filter bolts clear and pull back to remove. Then there's 6 or so bolts to remove and the fuel pump/filter assembly comes out of the tank, you'll need to disconnect the fuel level sender wire when it's about halfway out. The Duc OEM filter has a mounting lug on the side of it, I couldn't find any aftermarket brands that had this so I went with OEM from the dealer. You may as well replace the air filter while the tank is off. You may want to grab a spare fuel flange gasket just in case you need it. DO NOT overtighten the bolts on the fuel flange putting them back together.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Just to clarify, you don't need to remove the tank to remove the fuel pump assembly for replacing the fuel filter. Also, I believe the fuel filter is a Mahle KL 97. They are stupid expensive from Ducati, but rather cheap if you just buy the Mahle part.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Make sure you do not have a mouse nest in the airbox, I have a bike here at the shop and mouse nest and mice went through the engine and messed the motor up. I see clogged airfilters all the time especially on bikes that have been stored.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You need to siphon the fuel out of the tank before you start...
Just for clarification in case any new hyper owners look at this, you don't need to siphon the fuel out if you're just removing the tank, only if you plan on pulling the fuel pump. But, has anyone flipped the tank over while fuel was in it? If so, does fuel leak out of the fill cap? If not you could potentially skip removing all the fuel.

Just to clarify, you don't need to remove the tank to remove the fuel pump assembly for replacing the fuel filter
A classic dilemma, a tight work space may not be worth it versus just pulling the tank...

And that damn Ducati tax stings every time, maybe there'd be a way to just clean the filter?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just for clarification in case any new hyper owners look at this, you don't need to siphon the fuel out if you're just removing the tank, only if you plan on pulling the fuel pump. But, has anyone flipped the tank over while fuel was in it? If so, does fuel leak out of the fill cap? If not you could potentially skip removing all the fuel.

A classic dilemma, a tight work space may not be worth it versus just pulling the tank...

And that damn Ducati tax stings every time, maybe there'd be a way to just clean the filter?
Fuel will leak out of the vent hose if not plugged. It's just better practice to drain the tank before removing the fuel pump assembly. A cheap siphon pump gets you 90% of the way there.

Don't forget a new fuel pump base o-ring and to lubricate it prior to install. New o-rings for the quick connectors are a great idea and definitely lubricate those as well. No point in getting it back together and finding out one or both of those areas leak.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for all the tips/advice.

I found a thread on a monster forum about some members with the same symptoms I have and changing the fuel filter was the solution. All bikes with around 7k-10k miles. Regardless if it doesn't solve anything, it will be good to do.

I bought a fuel filter (KL97) for under 8 bucks...Ducati wanted around $40 (Not surprising lol).

Plan on getting a new pump base O-ring (#12) and Quick Connectors (#6) as suggested by corsemoto.

I plan to siphon out as much gas as possible as I definitely DO NOT want to take out the tank.

For the guys that have taken the fuel pump out....Is the job as straight-forward as it looks?

Loosen the bolts - Drop down pump slightly - Unhook the fuel lines - Unplug the fuel plug - Fully Drop down pump - Unhook the 2 hoses connecting to the Fuel Filter - Change Filter - Grease O-rings - REASSEMBLE (?)

Trying to get ready for any issues that I may run into or new parts I may want to replace. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Remove quick disconnects first and you will lose line fuel (not dry breaks).

clamps 10 and 11 are not reusable so have new ones.
FYI I never change the pump flange o-ring.
I always lube disconnect o-rings and they are very fragile be sure to inspect them for nicks.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Make sure you do not have a mouse nest in the airbox, I have a bike here at the shop and mouse nest and mice went through the engine and messed the motor up. I see clogged airfilters all the time especially on bikes that have been stored.
how much damage does an ingested mouse do?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts