Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't rode the bike for a couple of months and yesterday when I took it out, everything was fine until had gone about 10 miles and when I was shifting gears, the clutch wouldn't disengage. I thought the chain had come off or something at first but I'm pretty sure it was the clutch. After about 10 minutes of shutting the bike off and on and pulling on the clutch until my hand got sore, the clutch started working again. I rode home without using the clutch and now I'm wondering what I should do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take the clutch apart and clean out the dust, also make sure the plates didn't rust together which could cause the problem you're describing. Remember to put the plates back the same way they came out and not to mix them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Take the clutch cover off and cycle the clutch lever. See if the pressure plate is moving. If it is, this implies the clutch plates are rusted together. If the pressure plate doesn't move, this could point you to an air bubble in the line. It sounds more like the first. Do you have an open clutch cover? Have you washed it recently and put it away wet? Sat in the rain? Been parked for an extended period of time? If the answer to any of those is yes, it is almost guaranteed to be rusted together plates.

·
Ducati Designs
1,125 Posts
The clutch wouldn't engage (grip) or disengage (slip)? The symptom of losing a chain fits with the former, not the latter.

pg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It acted like the clutch was pulled in even though it wasn't. I'll try pulling the cover off this weekend and check it out. Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts