Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Multistrada has 28000 miles on it, and last weekend riding home from West Virginia it developed a noise. Rode all the way home in pouring rain and when we stop for gas the last time I thought something didn't sound quite right. a little louder than usual at low RPMs. Sound increase with RPM but the engine noise soon drowned it out. It's sort of a hum or a whining noise, doesn't change with clutch or gear, but clearly follows the speed of the engine.

I'm hoping it is a roller going bad on the timing belt oh, I think that would be the best-case scenario. I did pull off the cover for the timing belt on the front cylinder couldn't detect anything wrong without removing the belts.

Going to the shop next week I'll post back here what they find. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Similar sounding problem with my '12 w/ 40k mi. Took it to the dealer for a belt replacement and tune up, but the noise is still evident. I didn't specifically ask the dealer to address it, just figured they'd check the rollers when the new belts went on. I'm now starting to feel some unnerving clunking through the foot pegs, but only at idle. On the gas, the bike still pulls strong. Will be interested to hear what your dealer tells you.
My 2011 Multistrada has 28000 miles on it, and last weekend riding home from West Virginia it developed a noise. Rode all the way home in pouring rain and when we stop for gas the last time I thought something didn't sound quite right. a little louder than usual at low RPMs. Sound increase with RPM but the engine noise soon drowned it out. It's sort of a hum or a whining noise, doesn't change with clutch or gear, but clearly follows the speed of the engine.

I'm hoping it is a roller going bad on the timing belt oh, I think that would be the best-case scenario. I did pull off the cover for the timing belt on the front cylinder couldn't detect anything wrong without removing the belts.

Going to the shop next week I'll post back here what they find. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
sorry to say but that's how my '10 sounded at about 35,000 miles just before she blew a main bearing . . .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your comments are less than reassuring... I'll keep you posted. Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Did you buy the bike new?
Wondering how your drain plug magnet has looked the past few times? Do you do your own changes?

Please keep up posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I do my own oil changes, and nothing has shown up on the magnet as of the spring. I don't have enough oil on hand to do a change so I did not pull the plug yet. It's going to the shop today, they're scheduled to look at it tomorrow so I'll report back what they have to say. I bought the bike used with 13000 miles on it

·
Registered
187 Posts
I hope yours is something easier and cheaper. Mine sounded very similar to an alternator or power steering pump going out on a car. I was nearly impossible to localize source of noise, even with a stethoscope. Ducati paid a portion of bill, even well out of warranty by time. But it was a tough sell, the dealer (Moto Corsa Portland Or.)and warranty rep. really went to bat for me. I think it was about 1600-1800 USD out of pocket, total bill was about double that IIRC.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just picked up oil and filter, I decided to drain it before I run it to the shop . You said it was a hard sell to Ducati, I'm curious did you do the oil changes yourself or have a dealer do all the work? I'll post up something tonight when I see how the oil looks

·
Registered
187 Posts
They did the oil changes, but I don't think that would matter if you have proof of oil changes. A 2011 with 28K miles is a long shot for sure. Be as nice as you can, go to a well respected dealer, talk to your service advisor and the GM, and try to get them on your side. In my case, the warranty rep was a great guy, and friends with the dealership personnel. I don't think he is a rep anymore however. After it was done, I bought 3 bottles of Pendleton whiskey. 1 for technician, 1 for service writer, and 1 for GM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Not what I was hoping for

Edit..
To elaborate, I drained the oil and found I had a lot of metal on the magnet. The pic of my fingers is what was on the screen. Some good sized chunks. Now I need to decide what next.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
So, is the stuff on your fingers metallic or RTV? It looks metallic in the photos, but I know I've had a little RTV on the screens and at first thought it was metallic until really looking at it. If it is indeed metal... sorry for your engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is metallic. There may have been some other stuff on there too but definitely some metallic bits

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in the process of pulling the engine, and I had planned to send it to a good shop to get it rebuilt, but I am now leaning towards buying a low mileage engine. Does anyone know by chance if the DVT bolts in to the early 1200 chassis? I'm not really looking to do any modifications to make it fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts