Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering adding a 1098S Tricolore to the collection as a 30th birthday present to myself. I found one local to me for just under $10k. I typically try to buy "collector" bikes that are in their low-point of value and hold/ride for a while. I am not looking to make money really, just to break even if I were to sell in the future. I wanted to see what they consensus was around here and if the 1098 series has reached its low point in value to where they may start to upswing in a few years. Does this price seem fair? My target price would be closer to $9000 - $9500 depending on maintenance/belts/etc..

The bike WILL be ridden, but mileage will be kept relatively low (couple 100 miles/yr)

Untitled.jpg

·
Bon Vivant
11,568 Posts
In my very biased opinion the 1098 series of bikes is the pinnacle of ducati v-twin superbikes. The panis are so track oriented that they arent very good on the street (my opinion) Anything under 10k for a decent Tricolore is stupid low and if that bike was close to me it would be gone already. Prices might not be at the rock bottom just yet but they are darn close. I absolutely guarantee that bike's value will rise and it will rise sharply. If you dont want it send my the contact info...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If you plan on keeping it I am not sure quibbling over a few hundred bucks is worth worrying about. If the bike is in good condition just assume you will do a big service so you know it will start fresh under your ownership. Buy a bike that is good cosmetically. If it is $10,000 or $9,500 it shouldn't matter if the cosmetics check out and you plan on riding it. If the cosmetics are not so great, pass regardless as it costs a ton to do properly.

Doubtful you will lose all that much money aside from running costs, they won't go to zero, ever.

·
Registered
340 Posts
We have the exact same taste in bikes. Congrats, looks awesome. Is your MV a 750 or 1,000? I think that's next on my list, but I'm worried it's a case of 'dont meet your heroes'.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have the exact same taste in bikes. Congrats, looks awesome. Is your MV a 750 or 1,000? I think that's next on my list, but I'm worried it's a case of 'dont meet your heroes'.
Thanks. It's a 2000 F4, so first gen 750. Its slooow, well, relatively, but it is nice to ride. Quite plush, but handles fantasticslly for an 18 year old bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts