Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which route should I go? What advantages does the full system offer for that much more money?bike is street only with a track day or 2.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I know that on the 848, a slipon versus a full system has very little difference in power.

My buddy got an 848 and had the full Termi kit installed, a Nemesis ECU and a custom map, and he is getting the exact same power as my 848+Termi slipons and PC-V. He said that if he was going to do it over again he would just get the slipons.

Not sure if it is the same with the 1098 though, but it probably is similar.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I have a question along the same lines-

I bought a 09 1198 and have the FMF slip ons and a BMC filter enroute as we speak. I was thinking about a PC V (I think, maybe its a VII) and a custom map. It would save me over $1k over a full Termi/ Ackro/ Remus etc. system and should produce an decent power increase for the money.

I don't have much experience w/ Ducati ecu's and the such, but have had great success with PC's and a dyno tune on all my past race and street bikes. Even without making great HP increases, the rideabilty and power delevery was much improved. Am I off base?

Dodd

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I have a question along the same lines-

I bought a 09 1198 and have the FMF slip ons and a BMC filter enroute as we speak. I was thinking about a PC V (I think, maybe its a VII) and a custom map. It would save me over $1k over a full Termi/ Ackro/ Remus etc. system and should produce an decent power increase for the money.

I don't have much experience w/ Ducati ecu's and the such, but have had great success with PC's and a dyno tune on all my past race and street bikes. Even without making great HP increases, the rideabilty and power delevery was much improved. Am I off base?

Dodd
Well, the issue there is that without the DP ECU, you will have limited tuning ability with a Power Commander due to the stock one being a closed-loop system with the O2 sensors. You have to disable those and then you can tuns all you want with the PC-V.

That means a new ECU, or perhaps that part, I forget the name, that has a variable resistor that you install and it fools the ECU into thinking that the O2 sensors are sending a static signal?

I would think that if you had that installed, and it is like an $80 part, to basically "set" what the ECU thinks the O2 sensors are reporting, and then map and adjust from there, that it would work fairly well?

Maybe not as precise as the new ECU would allow, but I would think that it would get you damned close.

Anybody wanna add to or refute that?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good info. The device your talking about, would that be one of these "Fat Duc's" I've read about?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good info. The device your talking about, would that be one of these "Fat Duc's" I've read about?
probably so. They're called Fat Duc o2 Manipulators. We've installed a couple on customers bikes (only 2valves so far though) and they are definitely an interesting product. They do however cause the random CEL (usually an upstream lambda code) and are kinda finicky. Bikes run beautiful with them installed and some minor fuel/throttle body tuning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Getting back to the original post, gotta agree with the other members...slip ons are the way to go in your case.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Have to do a search but there's a member who removed his Akrapovic slip ons and installed a full system....$$$$ big time like Matt P. stated. When he dynoed the bike again, there was a very minimum increase over the slip ons. He was ticked and I'd be too if I spent the money he did for such a gain. However, it's how it responds, seat of pants type deal. I went from a slip on to a full Termignoni system on my old 999 and it made a huge difference in how it performed. With a slip on and PCIII my 999 made 130/78..so in reality it made a whopping 123-124!!!:D Never had it dynoed after the full system install....Although those big pipes look cool sticking out on the right side, especially the 70mm on the 1098....WOW!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Have to do a search but there's a member who removed his Akrapovic slip ons and installed a full system....$$$$ big time like Matt P. stated. When he dynoed the bike again, there was a very minimum increase over the slip ons. He was ticked and I'd be too if I spent the money he did for such a gain. However, it's how it responds, seat of pants type deal. I went from a slip on to a full Termignoni system on my old 999 and it made a huge difference in how it performed. With a slip on and PCIII my 999 made 130/78..so in reality it made a whopping 123-124!!!:D Never had it dynoed after the full system install....Although those big pipes look cool sticking out on the right side, especially the 70mm on the 1098....WOW!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts