Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Italian born, ride a 04 Yamaha R1 but would give my left nut for a Ducati. found an S model and the local dealer for 10K and 7000 miles on it. I ride my Yamaha ever day, 6'1 and 250. I really want this bike but know very little about value. Im not worried about the maint ( seems simple enough). not crazy valvetronics or anything. its had the belts replaced and chain and other stuff.
Does anyone have an opinion about this.
Im not worried about what people say about comfort. I ride in the heat, rain and cold, basically all year around and dont think it would be an issue. But WOW they are beautiful. I would love to be a part of the Ducati family and add to my heritage.
Are there any specific issues with them or anything I would need to be aware of?

thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
To be brutally honest, keep the R1. Passion, not common sense drives us here. If you don't have the passion you will not overlook the shortcomings of a Ducati. I would suggest you try before you buy. This will give you far more insight as to what it is then to listen to what people say about it.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan to keep the R1. I have 100K in mind for it. I would use the R1 as my daily for the most part. The Ducati would be my weekender "look at me" bike

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I am Italian born, ride a 04 Yamaha R1 but would give my left nut for a Ducati. found an S model and the local dealer for 10K and 7000 miles on it. I ride my Yamaha ever day, 6'1 and 250. I really want this bike but know very little about value. Im not worried about the maint ( seems simple enough). not crazy valvetronics or anything. its had the belts replaced and chain and other stuff.
Does anyone have an opinion about this.
Im not worried about what people say about comfort. I ride in the heat, rain and cold, basically all year around and dont think it would be an issue. But WOW they are beautiful. I would love to be a part of the Ducati family and add to my heritage.
Are there any specific issues with them or anything I would need to be aware of?

thanks for any input.
You're not concerned about the "simple" maint, not concerned about comfort, so apparently you are looking for the things that don't work right or break.

Unfortunately Ducati has released bikes with fuel maps that are indicative of the problems with meeting regulations, but in general it seems that, at least in the posting society, that many Ducati owners are gong to strip the exhaust, O2 sensors, exhaust valves and catalytic converts off their bikes and install a performance fueling map anyway. Never mind that the planet would have choked itself out by now without catalytic converter. Then there's the problems with trying to use plastic fuel tanks at the same time that ethanol became a fuel component. There's immobilizer issues that security lock the display to the ECU. There is brake and clutch bleeding problem that have come about by less than stellar pre sale testing and design changes that change caliper positioning and hose locations just before production.

So, pretty much like any other relatively small production volume performance vehicle manufacturer. You have to love it despite these types of things. Then, there are people that just don't experience any of these problems, partly because they are less sensitive and partly because the mechanics have learned to work around some of them and why pester the customer with them? If you are the kind that is sensitive to a less than stellar fuel map or riding position, you should be thoroughly either test riding the bike to your satisfaction or be planning on aftermarket solutions unless the bike has already had them and there is a good chance of that.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I plan to keep the R1. I have 100K in mind for it. I would use the R1 as my daily for the most part. The Ducati would be my weekender "look at me" bike
Really it depends on why you want it and what you want to do with it. Okay, and how much spare $$ you have lying around. The 1098 is designed the track, and they are notoriously uncomfortable to ride "around town"... they are geared for jerky takeoffs, they roast your nuts, the riding position puts a lot of strain on your hands/wrists/forearms/neck.

PROS:

1. Aesthetics - they are beautiful to look at
2. Torque/HP and handling - beats your R1 in some areas, loses to it in others
3. WAAAAYYYY better sounding than your R1. After you ride a Ducati for awhile Jap bikes with stock exhaust all start to sound like sewing machines.
4. They have the undefinable Ducati "soul" quality - you'll know it when you feel it, there's just a very special feeling when you open up a 150+ HP L-twin with the right exhaust. Read this: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducati-motorcycle-chat/346466-ducati-life.html
4. Sexy Italian supermodels always begging for rides
5. Roar of engine scares pets, women and small children (and some men)

CONS:

1. Uncomfortable
2. May be more expensive to do required PM.
3. Way longer wait for parts, which always seem to have to come from Italy.
4. Sexy Italian supermodels always begging for rides may upset wife
5. Roar of engine scares pets, women and small children (and some men)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I look at it on Sat. and I am looking forward to it. As far as maint. Its cheaper to adjust the valves and do the belts than on my R1. $800. for the r1 and $500 for the 1098S. granted the R1 valves are done at 26k and the Ducati every 7500 if im correct. I don't plan to put tons of mileage on it. I plan to swap out the original plastics for after market to preserve them since they are so expensive and unpainted. Either way I can not wait to own one. They are just too sexy. I will be looking forward to being able to park int the Ducati zone at the Motogp races in Autin next year.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've had my '07 1098 from new, I only rode it on track. I have a 1299S that I bought from AMS, say hi to Marty for me.

You'll be able tom attend the private track days at Cresson with AMS, they are lots of fun.

My Son now has the 1098 as a street bike, he's 6' 1", 215lbs. He loves it but he's 24 and still limber.

If you love the bike, buy it, but don't expect to stay in love with it riding around DFW.

P.S. I also have a '98 Blue R1.

Reactions: stevejill91

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Ride it. After that, decide what you think.

All Ducati SBKs w/ the exception of the 1198 and 1199 (Panigale) fall flat on their face at 125-130mph. If you live on the street, this is not a problem. I you go to the track and don't have skills, it is a problem and you won't be happy because you can't dominate every in the straits.

Around town, I think the 1098 is a better ride than the R1, w/ the exception of the heat from the exhaust. If money is a concern, then go w/ the R1 for every reason. Because, if maintenance cost don't get you, bling or modifications will destroy you.

Lastly, 10k is high for a 1098. I don't care who worked on it.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Ride it. After that, decide what you think.

All Ducati SBKs w/ the exception of the 1198 and 1199 (Panigale) fall flat on their face at 125-130mph. If you live on the street, this is not a problem.
My 999 and 1098 would refute this. Both of them pull really hard right past 150mph. Neither of them has had any internal engine mods. The front straight at Summit Point on the 1098 GPS says 154mph before I grabbed the brakes. I cant imagine what a Panigale must be doing at that point. OMG.

Just my opinion- these bikes are really awesome, up to about 100mph, at which point the new liter bikes start to walk away. But really, that shouldnt matter at all if this is a street bike. Please dont regularly go 100+mph on the street.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its a 1098S for $9500. I was thinking that the price was fine because of the difference in the bike over the base 1098. I don't plan to take it to the track and I specifically wanted it cause the power band range being lower than the 1199. I'm beyond the age of being semi retarded on the road, I just enjoy riding. I commute every day on my bike and plan to continue to use the R1 for that. The Ducati will be for UFC fight night at the bar or Saturday/Sunday rides.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts