Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Half ring

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's,

Bought this bike a month ago with some 2100 Kms on it. I just drained the oil today, and found one halfring ( from the valve closer shim). As far I know regarding the construction of the valvetrain - one halfring can't slip off by itself.

The seller havn't had the engine opened.
Please vote for:
1) Half ring dropped in the engine during assembly in Italy
2) Half ring is missing from one of the valves

Next weekend I will check heads for missing half rings

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very sure

Hi Bella,

Very very sure - I have done rebuilds of a handfull 998/999 engines and have another 1098 engine in spares.

It is sadly a half ring

·
Registered
108 Posts
Was the half ring crushed like they usually get after some miles? If it looks like it has been flattened a bit, then that's further evidence that it came from the valvetrain in the bike. If it shows no sign of flattening or other use, then *maybe* it fell in during assembly.

That being said, I don't think there'd be much joy in that valve's life with only one half ring keeping the clearance....:(

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'd get in there and have a look before I ran it any more. If things come apart while it's running, that's some big money going down the drain.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine is running fine - and the collet have a mark on it from "something" - but apart from that - I will say like new

In a weeks time after the heads have been stripped - I will post the findings :D

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I would find it strange that it was dropped in there during assembly. They call the delivery service to the conveyer the shopping trolley . For there to be an extra one there would have to be two people at fault. The person who delivered the parts to the builder , by bringing an extra one and the builder by losing one. Second hand bike could mean bad arsed person trying to f*ck with some one . Couldn`t see it happening in the factory.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is very strange - imaging my face when I discovered that half ring in the oil pan :think: and then - who have been in my workshop since I drained the oil :think::think::think:

Well - if one of my friends or wife confess to the practical joke - you are all free to ROLF :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
999 and 1098 half rings are the same. The "R" might be different, I've never seen those, but I have done my 1098 and they are standard. The MBP collets will also fit them.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I found two half rings during an oil change, on on my SPS and one on my 999R. Don´t worry. If it´s running fine, there shouldn´t be anyting missing. They´re easy to drop when someone is doing the valves and you usually don´t bother as it will not block anything in the oil circuit. It´s just going to wander into the oil filter area.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Solved

No half ring missing, but one was broken - now fixed:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts