Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im buying a 1098s superbike, the bike starts at 1 click and revs ok when in neutral. But when i put the bike on gear. (1-6gears) it wont rev high and just bog down, the bike is not being used regularly, just starting the engine and heating it up from time to time in the garage. TIA

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
So, it doesn’t rev high with clutch pulled in and in gear ? Or are you revving it in gear on a pit stand ? It’s well warmed up ? The first think I’d check would be an intake obstruction, or exhaust obstruction. I’ve had vermin nests in intake tracts, I’ve had mufflers full of acorns.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I dont know where you live -But if you are somewhere where ethanol is used in the fuel--If it sat around with that crap in the tank could also be the in tank fuel lines or fuel filter--I have seen many bikes where ethanol sat in the tank for a long time and the lines turned to goo or split--a small split in a line will not allow your fuel pressure to get high enough to run properly--Ethanol will also effect your injectors

·
Registered
91 Posts
The above posts all offer good areas to check out first. Now about that periodic start, let warm up and turn off policy. You may want to rethink that. Everything I read and all previous experience would indicate that that short term warm up policy, especially without riding it long enough for the exhaust system to genuinely heat up is a sure fire way to ruin an exhaust system. Think about it. The exhaust condensation ends up sitting within the exhaust since it isn't burned out as it is during riding and the inevitable corrosion sets in. And voila...rusted out exhaust. Just a well intended thought. A battery tender left attached frequently will serve you well also. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
The above posts all offer good areas to check out first. Now about that periodic start, let warm up and turn off policy. You may want to rethink that. Everything I read and all previous experience would indicate that that short term warm up policy, especially without riding it long enough for the exhaust system to genuinely heat up is a sure fire way to ruin an exhaust system. Think about it. The exhaust condensation ends up sitting within the exhaust since it isn't burned out as it is during riding and the inevitable corrosion sets in. And voila...rusted out exhaust. Just a well intended thought. A battery tender left attached frequently will serve you well also. Good luck!
Stainless exhaust.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Could just be crudded up plugs. You would think that if it starts well that wouldn’t be the case, but I’ve seen situations where the bike just wouldn’t rev. Also, old gas can do it.
I won’t be surprised at all if it has something to do with ethanol fuel, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts