Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 07, no issues up until now, just got it back from 7500 mile service, put about 300 miles on it, went to start it hardly turned motor over, charged the battery, read 12.2 volts on dash, but when it started dasj was showing 14.1 to 14.5, as soon as i tune it off it dropped to like 12.5. Left it on the charger for 2 days, started right up, rode 15 miles no start. I switched the batteries with another, that I knew was good, been fine after charging, still the same issue after a shrt ride. Thoughts?

Fran

·
Registered
828 Posts
... but when it started dasj was showing 14.1 to 14.5, as soon as i tune it off it dropped to like 12.5. Left it on the charger for 2 days, started right up, rode 15 miles no start. ... Thoughts?

Fran
engine running and dash showing more than 14V --> charging correctly.
engine off, voltage at 12 - 12,5V --> normal stand by voltage for battery. (should be closer to 12,5V, than 12,0V.. maybe even 12,7V)

not starting after a short ride --> my opinion is that after running the bike for a while, the regulator/rectifier stops charging? --> faulty.

Wasn't there a recall on the early model 1098's for a R/R ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had this exact problem on my 1098S. i just had the recall fix and then got the bike back and on the first ride after that had the same problem again. Then the next day I rode it and had no problems. I'm still a bit worried to ride it if I will be turning it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You have a 2007? Might just need a NEW battery. A couple of months after my 7500 service I had a similar issue. Press the starter button and it would turn slow and barely kick over that big twin. I called the shop and they said the battery checked good but they were limited on how they could test it. I went online and ordered a battery from battery mart. Got that bad boy in 2 days, installed it and have had solid cranking/starts all year. This was Jan 2012. My battery (on my 2008) was shot. Ducati mechanic told me these batteries only last 3 to 4 years.

I also had the recall on the voltage regulator done back in 2008 or 2009.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oops, sorry, I didn't see that part where you said you put a GOOD battery in it. If you have not had your voltage regulator replaced head on down and get it fixed. You should still be covered.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have been having the issue recently and my battery is only 1 year old (a Yuasa).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts