Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1098s 2007 Known Issues?

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  96c 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Admins may delete this if this is a repeat of previous posts

I've got my eye fixed on a 1098s from 2007 with a Dynojet PC and Term Ex. Its reached 15000 km on the clock and 's got it service fullfilled.
I have searched on various forums that both talk well and bad about the bike. But what do you boys say to it? Can it be recommended and what childhood diseases / maladies should you be aware of?

Also, I tested one yesterday for half an hour. While driving, it managed to go out 4 times. Turn off the engine, shut off. Mostly it was at the red traffic lights. But also when I gave it a quick twist on the throttle in Neutral, to get some sound.
Is this normal? The dealer says it's pretty normal for superbikes to do that.

Thank you in advance,
/Michael

#2 ·
Yes, shutting down at idle is not unusual for these engines. Mine got a lot better after having the throttle bodies synchronized/adjusted. One of them was pretty much closed at idle, and according to my mechanic the bike was "running on one and a half cylinders at idle". Fixing this also made the bike much smoother when opening the throttle from closed.
Apart from that, the 1098 is a bike with few problems. The Italians did spend 20 years refining what they started with the 851 and the 1098 turned out good.

#3 ·
excusing poor set up with "they all do that" is just that typical "it's italian" bullshit. really pisses me off when people say shit like that.

some of the dp ecu bikes would cut out, but there was a revised ecu that didn't. aside from all else that might be an issue, they don't have enough spark advance in the ecu at idle.

there was a voltage regulator and heat shield upgrade that was a recall and should have been done. also a starter gear change for early ones that didn't crank well when hot.

#5 ·
Not as 1098 specific but more of a Ducati thing = Divorce

Watch for cracked body panels especially the lowers, oem bodywork is quite thin and has been known to stress crack . As mentioned it should be able to run normally though if you want a superbike that cruises two up at 2000 rpm look elsewhere. Heat if you are going to city ride it can be tough so look at what you plan to do with it, normal street or track use will be fine.

#6 ·
I had both an 07 1098S and an 08 1098R neither would shut off at idle or when I blipped the throttle. I would say the bike you rode needs some work. One thing to be aware of is the ECU's split modes: from idle to about 5000 it adjusts fuel input via the o2 sensors , above that it uses a standard table - the PC will only work on the standard table above 5000 RPM - the good news is that in 07 the performance ECU deleted the o2 sensor and it really was a race ECU (unlike the crap we get today).

The 1098 is an excellent bike with a very robust engine, it really had very few problems. The one you looked at and rode needs to be looked at by a competent mechanic - That is not normal for a 1098

#7 ·
I have an 07 1098S and it's not shut off at idle unless I stalled it. They did have some recalls on this model that the dealer will fix for free. Check into that if they have not been done. Otherwise they are great bikes. I ride mine mainly on the highway they don't like sitting around in traffic. The motor is great on revs and sounds wicked with a full system. Big items are belt service and valve adjustments. Looking at every 7500 miles on those. Other items are all pretty standard brake pads, tires, oil service etc. My thought if it's stalling something is not running properly on that bike. If you're serious get it looked at for a PPI.

#8 ·
You have purchased a hand made watch. Every time a mechanic removes the gas tank things can change. The bike will leave you sitting at some point. It will run out of gas, It will fail to start, it will kill batteries. You will become so familiar removing the left side panel you can do it in your sleep. Buyers remorse will haunt you. Every one is an expert online and the dealer will scare you with what seams to be lack of knowledge. Then one day it all comes together. You out run an R1 or hurt a stretched Hyabusa's feelings. Then it hits you. I have a 13 year old bike that most motorcycle mechanics were 11 when it was new, and every single one of them would sell their Grandmother to have one. I own the real deal. A real race bike, with all the heat and smells and sounds that go with it. Worth every moment.

#9 ·
Fucking dealers and sales people, don't trust any of them, they're all ruthless cocksuckers that think nothing of stitching up some poor punter with a lemon.....

Bikes, any bike should be able to hold an idle, find a decent independent mechanic if/when you buy one!

Known issues? very few to be fair, Brad mentioned the recall for the heat shield and Reg/Rec and the Radiator can tear in the top left corner, this is fairly typical if it's been subject to ham fisted wheelies because the battery is supported off the same mount and that weight doesn't help. That said there are cream puffs out there that have suffered from it too.
Other than that they're pretty good, it's 13 years old now so look for something that hasn't been messed with, try and get an S, they get forged wheels and Ohlins as std and usually cost the same to buy.
I personally wouldn't buy anything with mods, ideally you want stock with slip-ons anda replacement ECU to suit which is usually in the Termi box. Anything with modified wiring? run, don't walk, from it and that includes PC and other stupid piggyback tuners....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.