Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at 1098r's as the prices have been going down and I want to find a mait for my 05 749r. I have found one all stock with 900 miles, laid down once but very minor damage and all repaired by Ducati dealer with Ducati Parts. Is 25k a steal, or should I hold out. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds kinda cheap to me. Last I saw the 1098 r was around 32-35 at the cheapest, and that in excellent condition. So if a dealer was selling it at 25, just seems to cheap. If it is legit I go for it.

·
Banned
344 Posts
If I'm dropping 25K on a bike I think I would want something that hasn't been crashed. That's just me. I say keep looking for something pristine.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
AHHHHH - Sounds like I am not the only one that has been spoiled by the "R" bike bug. Pretty amazing machines, aren't they? Tough to go back once you've experienced them. I've been toying with the 1098R thing for quite a while - I have not pulled any triggers yet. I have heard too many people indicate that they were sorry that they traded their 999R away for the 1098R.

Larry

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
From all accounts the traction control system in the 1198S is far superior to the 1098R. I think 1098R's still have a long way to drop as far as price goes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ducati Indianapolis has a new one on display that I hear can be gotten for a song, maybe a dance too but way under MSRP. I have been going back and forth in my mind about picking it up but I know the wife would have my ass on the couch for at least a month if I picked her up (since I already have three bikes in the garage).

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's unusual to see Ducati's next incarnation of the same model jump so dramatically in technology.

The acceleration of technological advancement. Wow.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would never spend $10,000 or up on a bike that had been crashed. It would always be in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My $.02...The 1098R is the 1198 motor with a few hop-ups and a lot of looks. The new 1198S comes with the traction control and is ~$20K new and will be able to find slightly used in a few months for about ~$18k. I'd have to buy a 1198S and then buy a 3rd bike like a 999 for fun. Then you have all three generations. :)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
My $.02...The 1098R is the 1198 motor with a few hop-ups and a lot of looks. The new 1198S comes with the traction control and is ~$20K new and will be able to find slightly used in a few months for about ~$18k. I'd have to buy a 1198S and then buy a 3rd bike like a 999 for fun. Then you have all three generations. :)
That is food for thought. Unless you want the whole collector exotic type thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got them down to 23k, but I still do not think that it is worth it seeing as the new 1198s is fairly comparable for less money brand new. I just cant see buying a bike that had been down for more than I can get a brand new 1198s for. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When they say its been down. How bad are we talking here? 0 mph garage drop or 125mph highside?

If they did the repair, I would ask for the invoices to see what they replaced. If it was just a fairing and some levers, it wouldn't bother me one bit. I know everyone likes to think their baby will never see concrete, but its a reality for most of us at some point. Might as well get the monkey off the back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I got them down to 23k, but I still do not think that it is worth it seeing as the new 1198s is fairly comparable for less money brand new. I just cant see buying a bike that had been down for more than I can get a brand new 1198s for. Thanks guys.
To look at it another way... 1198S+low interest rate going on+free maintenance program going on+ $tax, title, license + $2K in mods and you could have a bike that would be as fast than a 1098R with a much lower cost to own over the next 3 years.

Personally, my 916SPS is more than I can handle for my riding skill and I am certain a 1198S is way more than most street/track riders can handle. These new bikes are so advanced I don't think my skill will ever get to hit the limits of the bike.

Save the cash. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts