Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and a proud new owner of a 2008 1098R. I picked it up this weekend from a private seller...1400 miles and looks brand new. As a disclaimer, I also own a 2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R. I searched the forum first, so if this is a repeat question and I just missed it I apologize in advance.

When the low beams are on I have no headlights at all (just the running lights) and when the high beams are on I have only the headlight on the left side (right side when looking at the bike from the front). I did the obvious things like swapping the bulbs which are both fine, and checked the fuses (all fine) and put a meter on the connector (no power).

Before I tear into it any further (I assume the main harness is behind the headlight), I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on where to start.

Thanks,
Don

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
New to the forum and a proud new owner of a 2008 1098R. I picked it up this weekend from a private seller...1400 miles and looks brand new. As a disclaimer, I also own a 2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R. I searched the forum first, so if this is a repeat question and I just missed it I apologize in advance.

When the low beams are on I have no headlights at all (just the running lights) and when the high beams are on I have only the headlight on the left side (right side when looking at the bike from the front). I did the obvious things like swapping the bulbs which are both fine, and checked the fuses (all fine) and put a meter on the connector (no power).

Before I tear into it any further (I assume the main harness is behind the headlight), I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on where to start.

Thanks,
Don

Warranty :D Still has it right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep...still has the warranty, but what fun is that?:)

I thought if someone told me it was something simple like "take off the fairings and a connector came apart" I would just do it myself rather than drive to the dealer, get a ride back, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Once things hit electrical, I immediately think, no fun. :(
If the plug is not showing power, it may be the harness is acting up. If it is not flowing to there, then it is not coming from its previous spot, but you said the fuses are fine. Did you check the point at the fuse for power?

·
Registered
144 Posts
pull the front fairing off and headlight assy. Get a muti-meter and check for voltage at connector. If theres no voltage, check continuity from connector pin to fuse block. Also check continuity from headlight connector to bulb connector. Normally these problems are from a bad connection's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the quick responses. I'll tear it apart tonight and get back with you on what I find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turned out to be not that interesting of a problem. There are three connectors in the back of the headlight assembly...one each for the running lights and one 3-pin for the headlight. Somehow the middle pin/wire of the three pin connector had pulled out of the connector housing, so once I got the fairings and the headlight assembly off it was a 30 second fix.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts