Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard bits and pieces around the place that 1098R gearboxes are prone to failure. What is the story as I am about to buy one. I thought the R had Ducati Corse gears that are stronger etc... All info greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ducati under designed the tranny on the 2008 R. Reported failures I believe have been warrantied. Mine was warrantied, though I did not have failure...just shifting issues. The tranny was beefed up for 2009 R and 1198 motors. That's all I know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard snippetts of information. Some that the boxes seize up at high speed, maybe race only but for the money we pay here for one and for my peace of mind I need to find out as I am about to buy one. What got me thinking was a reply in the 1098R super build that the boxes are prone to failure. Didnt want to hijack that thread so started this. All info welcome.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
It's not that they were prone to fail, rather were found that under the extremes of racing(Xerox team), they were have reliability issues. In normal everyday circumstances, there is not an issue.

TBS, the '09 did have some tranny upgrades that included wider gears(approx 1mm), than were treated/shotpeened(IIRC) for added strength, not to mention they became lighter.

I don't think you will find yourself having any issues with the gearbox. BTW, the shifting issue is considered different and is being resolved with most Ducati shops.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1098r

Out to buy one myself (R 08) thanks for this thread.

Since we are on it, any other issues for the 1098R 2008? I assume rear sprocket and voltage regulator are included in the recalls (like 1098/1098S). What about the injection, I read somewhere that the way the traction control cuts the fuel supply is not through fuel pump anymore (like 08) but through the injectors (09)? Is that so? Question is was there an issue with the fuel cutting of TC of 08 models?

Thanks all
P.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
1098R gearboxes are failing under normal street riding conditions. I know of several bikes that have done this with under 500 miles. If the gearbox fails Ducati will replace it under warranty.

We have a 1098R apart right now and asked Ducati to warranty the gearbox parts - no labor even since we already had the motor apart and they said they can't warranty it until there is a failure.

The customer purcahsed an 1198 gear box on his own as he didn't want to have to have the motor torn apart again in the event of a failure.

I was told (by another dealer) that there was a different supplier for the R gearboxs that are having issues. Not sure about that, but maybe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts