Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I had some scuffed up oem 1098r fairings, so I thought I would try my hand at spray painting two pack. Not bad for my first go, just waiting on a few stickers and then Ill finish her with flat matte clear .... what do you think ?

I have a ducati performance fuel alloy tank and few extra carbon parts... so it will be a sweet trackday bike

·
Registered
64 Posts
From your post, I envision rattle can.
Looks like a damn good job! What kind of equipment did you use?
I can't wait go see more when its all together.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a $100 warehouse special aircompressor, a $200 paint gun, acrylic primer, acrylic base color, lots of sanding! (800 grit).

Taping off took alot of time, I used automotive pin stripes to tape the detail.... and after it all dried I used 1500 grit wet paper to smooth out the lines between the two colors... I am just wait on the stickers so then I can spray it with two part matte clear coat. All my skills are sponsored by youtube ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used a $100 warehouse special aircompressor, a $200 paint gun, acrylic primer, acrylic base color, lots of sanding! (800 grit).

Taping off took alot of time, I used automotive pin stripes to tape the detail.... and after it all dried I used 1500 grit wet paper to smooth out the lines between the two colors... I am just wait on the stickers so then I can spray it with two part matte clear coat. All my skills are sponsored by youtube ;)
You did an awesome job! It's a lot of work, but I'm sure you're glad you did it the right way. Nice and clean.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Amazing work for a "track" bike... With the alloy tank too... Will look sick

Sent from my iPhone using an App some engineer created and gave to me for free.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Excellent look and work. I am envious because everything I try to paint ends up looking like hell. Good job.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
IIRC Ducati had sold a limited amount of 1198s with special matte black, silver, gray paint jobs. I saw one at Eurosport Ducati and it was cool. They ghosted in the Corse shield and other stuff. It was quite a bit more detailed paint wise than a matte finished EVO.
Yours looks very similar....you did an incredible job! Lets see it all together. It's a shame Ducati didn't mass produce this paint combo.:mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks awesome!
Great Job!
All the wet sanding paid off.
Just waiting for pics of it all installed!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Stickers are on... thank you Rod from www.CutGraphix.com .. Best service and advice! I wouldnt get them anywhere elese after dealing with him!

Nervous now... this weekend I spray the clear, make or break! :eek:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts