Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New issue of Cycle World has a DB7 vs, Bayliss 1098R face off. Interesting enough, the comparison is the first time I have EVER seen a Bimota using an engine from Ducati or any other manufacturer priced LESS than the 'donor' bike.

The Bayliss, of course, uses last year's 1198cc "1098R" engine, a bit 'up scale' and more powerful than the current 1198S. The Bimota uses last year's base 1098, albeit with a Zard-sourced by EPA legal TI/CF exhaust. They also use their own ECU tuned for more mid range and a tad less top end.

Bottom line? The Bayliss had a 32 hp advantage on their test dyno. (No shock there, and about what I would expect.) The 1098R was 1.7 sec faster for one of the two riders around the track, again no shock given the hp and DTC advantage. The 1098R was also set up with the full Termi system (which they say is LOUD) and the DB7 had the standard, EPA compliant exhaust system.

The real point of interest was that one rider said the 1.7 second difference was the result of very aggressive and hair-raising riding by his companion and that he, who did not push it to the extreme limits, was faster on the DB7 on the track.

Both found the DB7 easier to ride and faster on the street. As the other reviewers said, the riding position of the Bimota was more like the 999, where you sit on the bike rather than on top of it That puts less weight on the wrists. Easier to tuck your legs up under the tank, etc They also found the suspension, etc to be better on the Bimota.

The two bikes are priced far different, with the Ducati $10,000 more than the Bimota. Their conclusion was that unless the slight advantage on the track, or Banzai style riding on the street is your primary concern, the Bimota was a better buy.

Hmm, love to see someone upgrade the engine to 1098R specs. On the other hand, stock seems to be quite sufficient, and perhaps a good, after market full exhaust and a Power Commander V with the tuning module would do a lot for a lot less.

My DB7 should be here sometime next week, and having owned the original 1098R (the Bayliss edition is just a new paint scheme) I will give you my thoughts on this comparison after I get some miles on the DB7.

A thought provoking article in any event.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
If you need someone to babysit your bikes I'd be happy to volunteer. :D

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
It's a hot-looking bike though...the headlight seems to take some styling cues from the 999 and the tail kind of looks like GSX-R unit to me. I'd still rock it...:cool: I'd replace that exhaust though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
New issue of Cycle World has a DB7 vs, Bayliss 1098R face off. Interesting enough, the comparison is the first time I have EVER seen a Bimota using an engine from Ducati or any other manufacturer priced LESS than the 'donor' bike.

The Bayliss, of course, uses last year's 1198cc "1098R" engine, a bit 'up scale' and more powerful than the current 1198S. The Bimota uses last year's base 1098, albeit with a Zard-sourced by EPA legal TI/CF exhaust. They also use their own ECU tuned for more mid range and a tad less top end.

Bottom line? The Bayliss had a 32 hp advantage on their test dyno. (No shock there, and about what I would expect.) The 1098R was 1.7 sec faster for one of the two riders around the track, again no shock given the hp and DTC advantage. The 1098R was also set up with the full Termi system (which they say is LOUD) and the DB7 had the standard, EPA compliant exhaust system.

The real point of interest was that one rider said the 1.7 second difference was the result of very aggressive and hair-raising riding by his companion and that he, who did not push it to the extreme limits, was faster on the DB7 on the track.

Both found the DB7 easier to ride and faster on the street. As the other reviewers said, the riding position of the Bimota was more like the 999, where you sit on the bike rather than on top of it That puts less weight on the wrists. Easier to tuck your legs up under the tank, etc They also found the suspension, etc to be better on the Bimota.

The two bikes are priced far different, with the Ducati $10,000 more than the Bimota. Their conclusion was that unless the slight advantage on the track, or Banzai style riding on the street is your primary concern, the Bimota was a better buy.

Hmm, love to see someone upgrade the engine to 1098R specs. On the other hand, stock seems to be quite sufficient, and perhaps a good, after market full exhaust and a Power Commander V with the tuning module would do a lot for a lot less.

My DB7 should be here sometime next week, and having owned the original 1098R (the Bayliss edition is just a new paint scheme) I will give you my thoughts on this comparison after I get some miles on the DB7.

A thought provoking article in any event.

Dave

pretty cool bike, but the 1098r is 30,000 right, the bimota's pricing is 40,000 cycle world is saying. very sweet bike though

·
Registered
16 Posts
The DB7 is - as always with Bimotas - more expensive than the donor, which is the 1098 BASE. Not the R just because they are compared here...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pretty cool bike, but the 1098r is 30,000 right, the bimota's pricing is 40,000 cycle world is saying. very sweet bike though
No, the 1098R Bayliss is mid-40s and the DB7 is mid-30s. And yeah, I plan on replacing the exhaust on mine as soon as someone makes an aftermarket system. By the way, mine is one of the 10 all black DB7s they built, all of the cf bodywork done in clearcoat, etc, the only color on the bike is red stanchions on the forks and the Extreme shock rears. Very stealthy, assuming any Bimota or any Italian superbike could qualify as stealthy anything. :) Dave

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The DB7 is - as always with Bimotas - more expensive than the donor, which is the 1098 BASE. Not the R just because they are compared here...
Don't know if that is 100% correct here. The base 1098 lacks the all carbon bodywork of the DB7 and the ultra-high end shocks, wheels, etc of the Bimota. Indeed, if you read the article, the DB7 is outfitted with many components that are more 'trick' and extreme than even the 1098R -- except the motor. I had a 1098R and liked it a bunch, before moving on to the DB16RR. I always preferred the 999 ergos to the 1098 style (you sat on, not in the 1098) which puts less stress on the wrists in street riding, where 99% of the miles are put on by most of us.

The article points out that the DB7 has far more comfortable street ergos, much akin to the 999, and that this was not a handicap on the track for most riders.

This, of course, brings me and others to the oft-debated issue of whether the 1098-1198 series is really an "improvement" on the xx9 series. While the newer Duc Superbikes have the 'racer' looks, it has the 'racer' ergos as well. The xx9 also had some adjustment for the seat, pegs, and tank to allow a bit of individual tuning for riding position, removed for cost issues on the 1098 family for cost reasons, along with several other build-down points. The DB7 is, IMHO, a more 'streetable' ride.

Perhaps a better "vs" will be when I ride my DB7 against my 06 999R Xerox. The ergos should be closer and the engine disparity far less.

And, no kidding, the DB7 would perform better with the 1098R or 1198S engine. But that is 'curable' with some relatively simple and available mods. Further, as the test notes, the extra power is fun, but needs a Banzai riding style which may be great on the track, and which I 'never' (of course) do on the street. (Day I get my D16RR and spend some time on our local 'road course/back roads' with a guy on a Gixxer 1000 behind me. Pull into our Sunday morning hangout, take off our helmets, he's about 25 and he sees the grey beard and other signs of decrepit and advanced age on me and says, "Sir, how old are you?" "61 today." "Are you planning on getting to 62? Not if you are going to ride like that on the street! Keep it for the track." Ah, nice to still be able to scare a kid at my age :):)) Dave

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Any idea of the price range of secondhand DB7's right now? I'm just wondering how much more it would be than a new 1198S. I would love a Bimota, but was thinking more along the lines of a DB2 or DB4, but maybe instead of my plan to trade the 1098 for an 1198S I should be thinking about a DB7. The one stumble I've got in this deal is that I'm just not that taken with the DB7 styling, and find it one of the weaker Bimota's when it comes to looks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't know if that is 100% correct here. The base 1098 lacks the all carbon bodywork of the DB7 and the ultra-high end shocks, wheels, etc of the Bimota. Indeed, if you read the article, the DB7 is outfitted with many components that are more 'trick' and extreme than even the 1098R -- except the motor. I had a 1098R and liked it a bunch, before moving on to the DB16RR. I always preferred the 999 ergos to the 1098 style (you sat on, not in the 1098) which puts less stress on the wrists in street riding, where 99% of the miles are put on by most of us.

Of course it has a lot of cool parts, but the issue was if it was more expensive than the engine donor, in this case the 1098. Expensive is measured in $$ or euros, not in carbon. Value for the money is another thing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any idea of the price range of secondhand DB7's right now? I'm just wondering how much more it would be than a new 1198S. I would love a Bimota, but was thinking more along the lines of a DB2 or DB4, but maybe instead of my plan to trade the 1098 for an 1198S I should be thinking about a DB7. The one stumble I've got in this deal is that I'm just not that taken with the DB7 styling, and find it one of the weaker Bimota's when it comes to looks.
Styling is a question of personal taste. Owning just shy of 30 Bimota, including the latest generation, I like the styling of the DB7, some do not. As for used prices, I am aware of only a handful of new DB7s here in the US and none have surfaced in the secondary market that I am aware of -- so 'used' price is anyone's guess. Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts