Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK it wasn't exactly a Barn find, it was listed on craigslist locally but I feel like it was something right out of American Pickers.

The ad on craigslist was short and vague: 1098R, 250 miles, race exhaust with a tiny thumbnail stock photo pulled from the web, no phone number no email. My buddy Scott said he saw it but wrote it off as a scam.

I replied via craigslist with my number on Friday night and Saturday I was off on a two day ride for the weekend. I get a call from a very nice young lady at 8AM just before I was leaving.
I tell her that I can't come look at it till Monday but later in the conversation she mentions she's in a tiny little mountain town and it just happens to be my lunch destination! talk about luck!
There's not much in this town, with a population of about 400 there are only a few really old cabins and houses just off the main street.

After lunch Candie and I walked over to the log cabin just around the corner from our lunch stop and meet some of the nicest folks you'll ever want to know. I'm a little blown away - the house is a vintage log cabin with a couple of out-buildings and a lot of stuff all around - work trucks, machines, tools, bunch of dogs in the yard and this:

A 916 superbike chained to a tree! Don't get any Ideas the bike is locked inside a compound gate and there are several yard dogs guarding it. ;)

Turns out the young lady is selling the bike for her uncle while he's away for the summer. I'm led to the outside shed and welding shop where the 1098 currently resides:

Here's what I find:

Is it me or does anyone else find it an odd place for a 1098R to be stored with 250 miles on it? The bike had 3 covers over it - they weren't taking any chances ;)

We pull off the covers and I'm not kidding this bike is brand new!!! it took me about 2 minutes to say "I'll take it" My wife said she knew it was the right bike the minute the cover came off.
I suppose I knew it too, but I had to poke around a bit and see just what we were looking at.

Here are a couple more pic of the bike's home:

I gave them a deposit and finished my weekend ride. Early this morning I went back to pick up my new toy.

I hope nobody thinks I'm disparaging the people that owned the bike or that live in that beautiful vintage log cabin, on the contrary, They have a wonderful lifestyle in a gorgeous setting in the mountains of Colorado and I envy them that. But who would have ever guessed that such rare Italian exotica resided in that sleepy little town?

It was one of the most fun purchases I've ever made and the experience makes the bike that much more special!

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
What a great story behind that purchase. Break her in the right way and don't sell it. Too great of a story. Hope you got a good price as well. Beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
very sweet find Mike, and in such mint shape. RRRRRR!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Come on, you gotta share the price you paid. A find like that, I'm hoping it was a great price to boot. Every now and again a real steal will come through Craigslist. It's usually a scam but stories like yours keep me hoping :) congrats, bike looks awesome.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Wow! Congratulations Mike!
Did they tell you or gave you any reason of why they were selling it?
Great story by the way and best of luck!

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
SCORE!!!
Good stuff...
The story must have been legit , sometimes life just does its thing ...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts