Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spring-like weather is here, so i decided to put the battery in and fire it up...
no luck. it goes through it's diagnostics, i hear the fuel pump, press the starter and nothing but a click. removed the battery, put it on a charger (green light comes on to say "charged") try it again and get the same thing. i just put the battery on my optimate charger which actually diagnoses battery issues and it's saying "may need replacing soon". so the "simple" charger says OK, but the optimate is saying NOT OK.

battery problem, i'm guessing????

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I suspect the battery has enough energy to run the electronics, but not enough to turn over the starter.

I have had this happen on my Corvette. It had me confused for a bit. Fortunately it would bump start so I could get it home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One other thing to check.

If you have a multimeter, take a voltage reading across the battery terminals. Hit the starter. If the votage goes to near zero as opposed the dropping to 8-10 volts, the battery just doesn't produce enough current. Unless your charger is not working properly, you need a new battery.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like you battery is gone, these are expensive. GPBIKES wants $150+tax. Check the voltage, it should be 12.7v or higher.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hind sight is 20/20.....should of gotta a Battery Tender. I paid $35 for mine and works great, battery was ready to go this spring after a long Iowa winter. With the quick connect tucked inside the fairing, only takes 30 seconds to hook up the tender.

I was afraid the batteries were that expensive....OUCH!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hind sight is 20/20.....should of gotta a Battery Tender. I paid $35 for mine and works great, battery was ready to go this spring after a long Iowa winter. With the quick connect tucked inside the fairing, only takes 30 seconds to hook up the tender.

that's the Canadian price, probably $50 in the US ;-) .
With today's exchange rate would be more like $120US

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've got 2 chargers (a regular float charger that i've used for years, and a newer optimate). not sure what the deal is...possibly the VR, which hasn't been replaced yet.

i don't have a multimeter (probably should), but the headlight basically went out as i was pressing the starter...can't recall if it always did that, but it's my guess it's taking all it can from the battery to try to run the starter.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
i've got 2 chargers (a regular float charger that i've used for years, and a newer optimate). not sure what the deal is...possibly the VR, which hasn't been replaced yet.

i don't have a multimeter (probably should), but the headlight basically went out as i was pressing the starter...can't recall if it always did that, but it's my guess it's taking all it can from the battery to try to run the starter.
You can get a multimeter here in the US at the Chinese store harbor freight for under $10. Something similar there? Real cheap tool.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
An easy test to see if it is the battery or the starter is to try jump starting the bike from a car. If it starts you need a new battery if it doesn't start it's your starter or solenoid (or other starting related electronics). To isolate the starter from the solenoid, touch the red jumper cable to the starter side of the solenoid, if it cranks good starter and bad solenoid (or other starting related electronics).

·
Registered
387 Posts

+10000000000

I love my battery tender so much. I too have the quick release tucked under some plastic...pull it in, plug it in, ready to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts