Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents, 07 1098 is making a whirring sound from the motor. Anyone else experience this? Sounds like beginning stages of an accessory going bad in a car, power steering or a/c pump, belts, idler pulley,etc. Stumped my local dealer as they listened with me. It has just under 3k, done a couple track days. Not abused. I Stethescoped all around idler and tensioner pulleys with covers off , but exhaust and bag-o-walnuts clutch make it hard to hear. Drained the oil, the normal slight bits that come out of all my other 8 ducs over the years at low mile or break-in oil changes. Removed dry slipper clutch. Same noise.Then right side case. Same noise.Then the gear to the transmission, to take it out of the equation. Same noise. All 1 step at a time, lighting it up in between with side cover temporarily in place to keep oil pressure. End bearing looks mint clean. Even removed oil pump. As it spun in my hand , seemed like it could be the culprit. Opened the pump halves up, O.K inside. Even took a chance starting it for 1 sec without pump, as I was sure that was gonna be it. Same whirring noise. Back together again, Just put 15 miles on it. No power loss, knocks, or ticks. Really sounds like my 81 Euro spec 850 lemans Gootsie with agostini timing gears. Tomorrow I will try waterpump removal and the left case. Track day next sunday and I want to sort it out by then or park it. Any ideas?
Kentster

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,729 Posts
Have a look at the timing belts and see if they are running close together in the middle.
Often happens when the tensioners are adjusted the wrong way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does the sound go away when the motor is hot? My Multi had a crankshaft shim issue(not sure of the technical term). It didn't start right away but occurred with a couple thousand miles on the bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no. stays the same hot or cold, in or out of gear. in sync with rpms. belts are good, and tight. removed water pump and left case cover just now, checking starter sprag

·
Registered
152 Posts
+ 1 with TomTom. Hard to check until it gets real bad and heaps of metal starts to show up on the sump magnet, only real way is to split the motor and have a look. I think after 07 they went with a different right hand main bearing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hope not, but you guys may be right. took off all the left case covers, water pump, starter gears. all looks ok and still makes the sound with all that removed, firing it up for a few seconds. twenty eight hundred miles. bummer

·
Registered
218 Posts
Main bearing comes to mind, had a buddy with a whirring noice and a couple of rides later the left main was gone, 1098 too.
Not meaning to scare you up, but it will be cheaper to catch/check it now than later.
This was a problem in the 07's and early 08's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after a short ride, drained oil looks like i'm panning for precious metals..arrrgh. bearings just shouldnt self destruct on a 2800 mile motor in a 15k bike. we can see from the outside with the cover off, the right end bearing is made in FRANCE!
i'm losing faith in my beloved brand.
in 92, my 851 had a bolt back out of the rear timing cover, cam jumping a tooth, bent valves. in 95, 916 was good. in 2001, 996 front cylinder chewed itself up. 03, 998 spun a bearing. 07, 999 was good. but now, here i am again.
i know what your thinking.
it's not me.
all well kept, synthetic oils, low miles, no wheelies.
i know.
its an addiction. that v-twin growl when its on song.
i can stop any time i want, you know.
i just dont want to.
anyone got an 1199s first year production model for sale?
no.
wait. yes.
....here i go again
help me

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is it gary. only mine is not that bad yet. but as i said ,i removed the clutch 1st, then every accessory that could be removed, one at a time.
must be a bearing?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I definetly commiserate with you....I have a 999 and we had a hard time diagnosing a left main bearing failure. At 1st we thought cam belt pulley bearings, or a belt was out of adjustment. Replaced the cam belt pulley bearings, adjusted the belts-nope!
Then we were thinking maybe the starter gear was misaligned....but as FBF dug into it they found a left main bearing was galled. No apparent reason, usually the right main goes bad- so it was just a fluke. It's hard to diagnose just where the noise was coming from because the L-twin is so narrow. At 1st we had no doubt the noise was coming from the vert.cyl. as it sounded like a bad belt..kind of like a super charger sound.
But everything is managable. I had mine done by FBF and they did an outstanding job. We decided to replace all the bearings, race balance the crank as they installed a "drop in" 1038cc overbore kit 2 yrs ago. But the balancing was worth every penny of the $290 spent, it really made a dramatic difference in how the bike feels and performs. We didn't lighten the crank or install new rods....nothing like that. I'm already running a light wt. FW, slipper clutch and cam belt pulleys.
Good luck, hope you get it fixed soon!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kinda sick feeling inside right now.
I'm getting in touch with my feminine side and singing mary poppins' "my favorite things" as i write this.
line 1....rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens....[we did just have a little stray show up and shes pretty cool]
if i tore it open, i would think changing all the bearings would be a must, with all the fine debris meandering its way thru all the others and de-grading them too.
line 2.....bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens....
this was just not in the plan right now. hop on bike, ride to station square, ride home while chewing up bearing.
line3...brown paper packages tied up with strings...
could use a nice wrapped present right now. most of my bike business means im at the salvage auctions all the time. maybe ill just buy myself another one for the motor and part it out.
line 4....cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudel...
then again, more ponies would be a gas. id have less in the rebuild than the time and hassle of parting one. and if i added some high compression pistons while i was in there..
uh-oh. im starting to get hot..here's the addiction kicking in again.
... jumping verses to the one that says...snowflakes that stay on my nose and eye-lashes....
need to cool down a bit. taking a deep breath
taking my 04 aprilia tuono to the track day sunday. 2nd best but it'll do.
give myself time to mull. too busy with all the other bikes right now to deal with it anyhow.
sing with me as i go,and i'll feel the love.
....wild geese that fly with the moon on their wing...
looking for celestial confirmation for my plan. arguably, geese are kind'a MODIFIED ducs.
what to do? keep you posted. thanks for the help

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
At least you have something else to ride and occupy yourself. What to do? Get it fixed, it's just bad timing as we are into the riding season. You could hold off and do it in the fall....luckily mine failed in November....but I'm most fortunate as I rode around with this noise for quite sometime as it came on so gradually..one of those noises.."is that something new, no, that's been there..." things....but it became louder...I had so much invested in my 999, just had the overbore kit done, porting, valve works added S cams, etc, etc...new Marchesini forged wheels, complete magnesium engine kit....so there was really no way I could part it out or sell "as is". Plus after demoing the BMW and not liking that much and the fact there's nothing out on the market that I would rather own right now aside from a new Norton Commando:D, my choice was an easy one....fix it.
Regardless...I would get it done if your finances allow....IIRC my bill was $3100 for all new bearings, crank race spec balanced...they went over everything with a fine toothed comb, shimmed everything properly. I was astonished just how much better the engine felt....It was like night and day, it's a completely different engine now-so $$$ well spent.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can empathize. I have a 98' 916 with over 20K miles and it's my 08' 1098 that had the H Head fail; pin hole leak next to the exhaust valve. DC says it almost never happens. I got lucky and found a replacement Head. No help from DC, but it's not on warranty, so that's life. Good luck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
At least you have something else to ride and occupy yourself. What to do? Get it fixed, it's just bad timing as we are into the riding season. You could hold off and do it in the fall....luckily mine failed in November....but I'm most fortunate as I rode around with this noise for quite sometime as it came on so gradually..one of those noises.."is that something new, no, that's been there..." things....but it became louder...I had so much invested in my 999, just had the overbore kit done, porting, valve works added S cams, etc, etc...new Marchesini forged wheels, complete magnesium engine kit....so there was really no way I could part it out or sell "as is". Plus after demoing the BMW and not liking that much and the fact there's nothing out on the market that I would rather own right now aside from a new Norton Commando:D, my choice was an easy one....fix it.
Regardless...I would get it done if your finances allow....IIRC my bill was $3100 for all new bearings, crank race spec balanced...they went over everything with a fine toothed comb, shimmed everything properly. I was astonished just how much better the engine felt....It was like night and day, it's a completely different engine now-so $$$ well spent.
Did they find the cause of the bearing failure? It must be lack of lubrication from a blocked oil way or not enough oil pressure making its way to the left main bearing.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Did they find the cause of the bearing failure? It must be lack of lubrication from a blocked oil way or not enough oil pressure making its way to the left main bearing.
I pressed FBF on something definitive as what is to prevent it from occuring again-right? But they couldn't find anything unusual that would cause this failure. Thye just deemed it a defective bearing. I had FBF install a BCM 1038cc overbore kit in August 2010. THe following year in April I had them install a new sprag, Nichols FW, starter gear, bushings, etc.,.....
I'm not sure if the 1038cc kit might have thrown things out of balance..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts