Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1098 vs. 848

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  low612 
#1 ·
What are your guys opinions on on both bikes for street riding . Which one would you prefer ? Looking at used ones.

This would be a 1098 standard vs. 848
Other than the obvious power and gearing differences. Im trying to devide which bike i would be happier with overall. One of my concerns are the stalling of the 1098 which i can see getting old over time. I do mostly street riding , twisties through the hills and commute to work occasionaly.

#3 ·
if you don't plan on tracking the 1098, I would go with the 848. The 1098/1198 bikes have so much power that it would be a waste on the streets; if you are ok with having much more power that can be used on the road, then go with the 1198.
I went from a 748 to a 999, and I wish I had kept the 748; that bike was more fun to ride because I could use more of the power and it required for me to be more involved with the riding as there wasn't as much power.
DukeDesmo has a good point; the torque on my 999 is nice. But it has made me a more "lazy" rider; I don't need/have to downshift 2 or 3 gears anymore to accelerate.

#6 ·
I've not ridden the 848 and so can't comment on it. I’m sure it has plenty of power for the street but the torque of the 1098 is addictive. And I’ve not had any stalling issues.

#7 ·
Good point i agree that the 1098/1198 wouldnt be able to use its full potential on the street. I can see what you mean about being more involved with the bike as well with the 848. Very good points.

I will continue to search around and see what individuals that have rode both have to say. Appreciate all your comments!

#8 ·
My impression from riding the two bikes back-to-back is the 848 feels lighter and handles better. Power is definitely ample on both bikes, with the 848 being more "fun" because you can get on it a bit more. If your ego can handle it, I'd go with the 848, and put the extra cash towards getting the suspension set up

#10 ·
Haven't ridden a 1098, but unless you're a power junkie, the 848 has more than enough and handles really nice. :D

#14 ·
Yah thats a good point i know i will want more eventually. maybe i could just buy the 1098 decals and put them on the 848. Then i will feel better about myself :D

I found a 08 black S model for 18k OTD
and a yellow 08 standard for 14kOTD both new.

There 2 years old almost..what to do

#16 ·
nWhat about stalling issues i get mixed opinions.

1. Ducati knows the problem
2. They give you a ecu to fix the problem or adjust tps
3. The ecu?tps dosent always fix the issue
4. If they know about the issue why dont they just fix itor have the bikes re-adjusted.
5. We spend are hard earned money to buy a bike we know has issues
6. Its still a BAD ASS looking bike .

#17 ·
The stalling issues arn't something you're gonna run into every day or something. It happens every once in a great while, for me maybe once every two or three weeks and I ride my 848 every day.

The reason the bikes stall is due to the design and you can't 100% guaranteed resolve it. Japanese bikes have injectors above and below the throttle plate. The Ducati superbikes have injectors ONLY above the throttle plates. This means, the air/fuel mixture has to be done perfectly and travel around the throttle plate into the cylinders. This is a lot of traveling for a blend of fuel and air with a piece of metal blocking it. So sometimes the fuel doesn't attach itself to the air very well and you get an alteration in fuel mixture. This happens pretty randomly, usually heat is the cause of it.

So the resolution is quite simple; give it more fuel at idle! If you can set the bike at idle to deliver MORE fuel, you can almost guarantee, it will run under any idling condition. So this is why people suggest replacing the ECU and such... because the aftermarket ECU's allow for that adjustment by the user or you can have someone reprogram your stock ECU.

Finally, the reason why Ducati uses shower injectors is a positive one for high RPM running, not for idle. Maybe in the future, they'll go back to a double injection system, who knows.

#18 ·
tye1138- Whats disturbing is Ducati would allow this to continue. The issue sounds more common around me with 1098 owners more than 75%. I guess i wouldnt knowingly buy a car that had stalling issues , which is causing me to hesitate from taking the plunge. Its not like its a low percentage of 1-3% that are stalling . Thats is some good info though and gives me a clearer picture, thanks!

#20 ·
tye1138- Whats disturbing is Ducati would allow this to continue. The issue sounds more common around me with 1098 owners more than 75%. I guess i wouldnt knowingly buy a car that had stalling issues, which is causing me to hesitate from taking the plunge. Its not like its a low percentage of 1-3% that are stalling . Thats is some good info though and gives me a clearer picture, thanks!
The issue is the EPA and the regulations surrounding emissions control. Ducati would have to totally re-invent the intake/injection system on the bike and loose quite a bit of top-end power to fully prevent stalling issues on factory equipped machines. I mean, what's worse; buying a bike thats hindered from the factory in such a way that it can NEVER get its full potential OR buying a bike that you can modify simply to eliminate the stalling issue, but out the door might stall a bit. I think Ducati expects most people to put on a different exhaust and if you notice, that exhaust (termi) comes with an ECU, henceforth feeding the bike more fuel at idle and removing the stalling issues entirely.

#22 ·
On the 848 vs 1098 thing all you're really looking at is price and power.

And for those of you that say the 848 has enough power, you're wrong. I wish my 1098 had even more power. You get comfortable with the power and before you know it you're wishing you had 5 hp here, 5lb/ft there and next thing you know you're spending lotsa money.

I wouldn't trade my 1098s in for an 848 even if I was getting 10 grand back.

#23 ·
picked the 1098s

Well guys just picked up a 08 1098s yesterday at the dealer. This bike is awesome! Love the power and torque. I cant wait till this thing in broken in fully. I already have 120 miles on it. Breaking it in like it should be:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.