Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
After 2 engine failures on my 1098 I dont have confidence into it...As new bike i look at 1299s.
1098 is very basic bike and I have only problem with engine, rod bearing and piston skirt cracked?. 1299 have lot more places to go bad, like sensors, suspension, electronics ets...
Maybe some can write some word about running cost between this two bikes, ducati recalls for 1299 etc?

thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’d like opinions on this as well. I recently sold my second 1098, considering jumping back into Ducati ownership with a 1299.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
1098s (as well as many other SBKs) generally don't live incredibly long lives on track without being rebuild because the connecting rod bearing clearances can be exceptionally tight causing the smallest starvation of oil to spin a bearing and wreak havoc.

I don't know that the Panigale engines are any different regarding OEM bearing clearances. That being said the 1299 should be stouter in general as it's got a more advanced oiling system. I know the 899 and 959 were known to have connecting rod failures in high RPM track use. I don't believe this was due to bearing clearances, more to the rod fatiguing or the rod bolts failing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts