Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I've been researching 1098 voltage regulator/rectifier issues on this site and have found great info to fix the issue of the RR's going bad. I bought a Shindengen FH020AA and the Triumph cables to connect the RR to my 1098 without any cutting and splicing. What I can't find now is the post where someone mentioned a metal adapter plate to allow for mounting the RR in the original location. Could someone please point me in the direction of that old post or toward a place where I can make or buy that adapter plate?

Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
Are you talking about the metal heat shield that goes behind the RR and the plastic case that holds the battery and the RR mounts too?

46012832A is the number for that part, it's on my 1098R but not fitted to a std 1098, i would run one anyway, providing that's what you're meaning??

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
roadster cycle sell a generic one. i think i used a couple of spacers i machined up when i fitted one to an 1198, and one of them was beveled to sit against the top angled inner edge of the box to allow the reg to sit with the connectors to the back (i think). rotated from the original anyway.

they need the heat shield too. not sure if they're still doing that under warranty or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roadster cycle sell a generic one. i think i used a couple of spacers i machined up when i fitted one to an 1198, and one of them was beveled to sit against the top angled inner edge of the box to allow the reg to sit with the connectors to the back (i think). rotated from the original anyway.

they need the heat shield too. not sure if they're still doing that under warranty or not.
Thanks Belter. I missed them selling adapter plates when I looked at their site earlier. I'll be contracting them tomorrow to double check that the 4 way mounting bracket will work. With the additional length of wiring from using the Triumph T2500676 harness I'll more than likely loop the excess around and have the connectors facing forward. Thanks again for mentioning that site.

Are you talking about the metal heat shield that goes behind the RR and the plastic case that holds the battery and the RR mounts too?

46012832A is the number for that part, it's on my 1098R but not fitted to a std 1098, i would run one anyway, providing that's what you're meaning??
Loony888, My standard 1098 has a metal heatshield attached to the bottom of the battery box that fits between the VR and exhaust. I'm not sure if that was a factory part or not. It has always been serviced at the Ducati dealer in Charlotte since I bought in 2010, but I don't remember them saying anything about adding the heat shield, nor performing any recall work for the VR. Last time any recall work was done was in 2012 when the tank was replaced due to expansion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Miller,

The symptoms I was having were that my gauge cluster backlighting, headlight, and turn signals would turn off, or go inop, while riding. During the day, I could still read my gauge cluster, the speed, temp, tach, and other functions were there. At night, I couldn't read anything and traffic couldn't see me coming due to no headlights. I never lost brake light functionality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Miller,

The symptoms I was having were that my gauge cluster backlighting, headlight, and turn signals would turn off, or go inop, while riding. During the day, I could still read my gauge cluster, the speed, temp, tach, and other functions were there. At night, I couldn't read anything and traffic couldn't see me coming due to no headlights. I never lost brake light functionality.
Huge help, thank you!

I had similar problems last year, riding home and headlight went off, signals stopped working, etc. one time I legit lost like 75% power when accelerating, started it next day and ran fine. I replaced VR with a used OEM one off ebay, seemed to fix those problems but I didnt know anything about the recall/heat sheild so that was never put on.. so im thinking maybe this VR is now fried as well.

None of those problems happened yet this year but new problems are it'll stall a few times when riding, sometimes wont start back up on 3rd or 4th stall. Sometimes It wont start after letting it sit for 2-3 hours, sometimes I can let it sit for days without a tender and itll start. When it stalls and has trouble starting, ill check the battery and it is 100% fully charged. Starter/sprag/clutch all replaced with the 15,000-mile service ~50 miles ago with ducati parts from dealer. Nothing makes sense, Im beginning to really regret buying this bike lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,

I've been researching 1098 voltage regulator/rectifier issues on this site and have found great info to fix the issue of the RR's going bad. I bought a Shindengen FH020AA and the Triumph cables to connect the RR to my 1098 without any cutting and splicing. What I can't find now is the post where someone mentioned a metal adapter plate to allow for mounting the RR in the original location. Could someone please point me in the direction of that old post or toward a place where I can make or buy that adapter plate?

Thanks
Hi Gregg. I posted about the 1098 Regulator/Resister adapter plate and that string of posts went missing? I just had another look and came across your post. Hopefully by now you are all up and running. If not, I took a few photos as I was making the adapter plate and will post them here if you are not sorted yet. It is for a Mofset RR that has the mounting bolts 90* to the OEM RR. With restricted space available for an adapter, I made it out of thin alloy sheet and it sits very snug and securely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts