Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at two locally tomorrow, both well cared for, low miles, '08's. This would be my first ducati (previous RC51 owner as well as four liter inline four's. I live an hour from VIR but this will be mostly riding for fun.

Attracted to the 1098s because of the Marchesini's and Öhlins but the owner painted the front fairing which irrationally makes me suspicious of the bike's past (besides the owner's taste). It's at a local dealer and is immaculate. 1098S Ducati 2008 | Barnett's Suzuki Ducati Raleigh, NC

on Craigslist, guy has been trying to sell his 1098 for months - appropriately has the termi's and appears well cared for. https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2008-ducati-1098-clean-bike/6372868217.html

advice from those wiser and more experienced appreciated

·
Registered
938 Posts
Both in my opinion are priced too high. Assuming both bikes had their 6K mile serivce (belts, valves adjustment, plugs, TB balance etc) within the past year, the 1098S is priced $2K too high and the 1098 at least $1K too high. A recent 6000 mile interval service is roughly worth $1K in value, so decrease the value by $1K more if they haven't had their 6000 mile service.

I generally prefer buying bikes which need service. Gives me the opportunity to get them serviced and set up right (6K service, injector cleaning and cam degreeing) , and then to get them custom tuned.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
+1, also, which I'm not 100% sure, I don't think that the S came as biposto.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Those bikes are WAY too expensive. You're looking at paying almost 50% of full price 10yrs later!?!?! I've got 2 suggestions for you.

1. Look for bikes in SoCal; prices are so low that the $500 for shipping will be well worth it.

2. For the same money, buy the RSV4. Better bike, cheaper and faster. :0

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Look for service history and care, use your instincts to buy a GOOD bike not a cheap bike. I would add a premium price for a bike that was well cared for (service history ) and you could see with your own eyes and hear run. bring a critic with you to point out what you do not want to hear as you may be overcome with bike lust and miss some things.

I see plenty of customers who buy based on how cheap they can buy a bike and I can tell you most of the time they end up paying more in the long run due to the issues that made the bike cheap in the first place. If one has freash tires and a recent tun and another does not that can be $1500 difference right there so it does not take long for the gap to narrow.

Yes there is ebay and other long distance sales but I have had more than a few owners buy nightmares . A 996 that had about every thread stripped and nothing was assembled correctly, they had melted the aluminum brake piston in the rear caliper yet it looked normal in pictures. Another bought a "showroom" speacial, it was a 999 and was very pretty with 999r bodywork and with ohlins everything. Well it was missing more than a few internal engine parts as well as the fact the frame they powdercoated was bent enough the front tire would hit the head at full travel. looked pretty though.

I will also mention the Aprilias and other bikes, yes you can get some great bikes and often they will cost less than a Ducati but there is something different about the Ducati and you see it in prices. You could get that 1098 for around $7000 and up (12/2017 ebay prices) and the rsv4 can be had for just a bit more gets you a 2014. The bikes are fine but resale is less for some reason, not due to the quality of the bikes. You see this is past prices also with other brands price a laverda aprilia or motoguzzi and compare it to a similar model Ducati and you see that the buying public values the ducati's more for some reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts