Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal someday before I geez out is to go to bonneville with something, car or bike. I`ve been there 3-4 times as a spectator and it is addictive.
Just for something to hold me over I`m thinking of taking the 1098s to Maxton next year. What should I expect?
www.ecta-lsr.com

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Be aware that the salt is extremely corrosive, and you'll have problems long afterwards. Magnesium will fizz like an alkaseltzer, and there can be electrolysis trouble any place two dissimilar metals are in contact. All of the washing in the world won't completely eliminate all of the salt brine.

I was involved with racing there for a time in the 90s.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've done 170 going uphill on my 1098s and it had plenty of steam left.

I say it can do 180 easy.
using the generic 5% to 10% error margin, you were probably going between 153 and 161.5 mph. So yes, it will do 180 (speedo reading) or about 162 to 171 mph

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
I myself have been thinking of doing that with my 1198S.

Finally, FINALLY, there is something coming up for us West Coast guys...

www.mojavemile.com

Having raced a Hayabusa for years (but never a 1 mile or LSR), there are so many little things that can help out for this. If I can make the event, my goal for the mile from a standing start is going to be 175. If I can click 180 on GPS, I'm going to be ecstatic but that's a real long shot. (Yes, 5 mph is a BIG jump).

Motorhead, some things to help you out, if you didn't already know. LOTS of info from the Hayabusa boards...

Remove mirrors (obvious)
Remove rr turn signals/license plate
Fresh oil change
clean filter, no oil
GOOD map
50 psi front/rear
Rear brake pads pried apart
*Ceramic wheel bearings*, or, the poor man's bearing mod (stock bearings, remove the plastic innards, re-oil)
CLEAN chain, preferably non-O-ring
remove bar ends
Head on tank, ass as far back as you can, elbows in
Clutchless shifting
R1 throttle mod
Removal of front/rear dust seals off brake calipers (but, obviously, not fluid seals)
Add a small spring on the pin holding brake pads in place, pushing pads out (be cognizant that you may have to pump the brake once or twice when slowing down, but this is really for LSR on salt)
Adjust gearing to suit tranny ratio's (I have a gearing calculator, but it's needs your tranny gears to be perfect for your bike. I can email it to you or anyone else that needs it)

If you wanna go big, get a set of BST's with above said bearings, Ti rotor/sprocket bolts, and cut rear brake rotor/wave rotor.

Try to find a hard rear tire, with decent tread in the middle but worn down sides. This will give you the hard, but lighter, size tire that you want.

When I had my Hayabusa, I was always on www.suzukihayabusa.org . Those guys, are serious. Racing turbo 500.....600....700 rwhp Hayabusa's, dragging them and LSR/mile. Many of the tricks that they use can be directly applied to us.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
As tested by Cycle World in 2008, a stock 1098 putting down 142.6 rwhp topped out around 164 actual mph, and a 1098R topped out at 185.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
As tested by Cycle World in 2008, a stock 1098 putting down 142.6 rwhp topped out around 164 actual mph, and a 1098R topped out at 185.

143 rwhp. So I got 166 on my 1198. With good preparation (see above), I just *might* hit 180. If I have enough room. Realistically, I think 175 should be doable.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
143 rwhp. So I got 166 on my 1198. With good preparation (see above), I just *might* hit 180. If I have enough room. Realistically, I think 175 should be doable.
They wont go any faster than the gearing allows . Make your own gearing chart here .http://www.gearingcommander.com/ . But remember you have to have the power to pull it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Dont know wether ducati have changed their clocks but the 999 clocks maxed out at 174 . anymore , displayed on the clock , And the , European , clock goes blank.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The 1098 speedo reads into the 180's. Or so I've heard.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
No idea on the Ducs, I've only had the 999 up to 160 indicated. My 2000 GSX-R750 back in 2000 indicated 193 on a long straight 2-mile stretch of road in CA where we would do our "testing"...lol On that same road my friend's '99 Hayabusa with Turbo indicated 211. I'm sure they were off, but I got the top speed thing out of my system. Now it's all about the corners...:)

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Doesn't matter what's indicated. What matters is what the timers read, and/or GPS.

The power is not necessarily the problem. It's the attention to preparation that needs to be done. Not just brute hp, but more attention needs to be made for aerodynamics, parasitic and mechanic losses, efficiency of bearings and stuff.

I haven't done the calculations but I'm pretty darn sure that my 6th gear will go above 180. Still, the odds of doing that inside of a mile will be very slim.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As suggested above, gearingcommander.com gives quite accurate results for the theoretical top speed, or a "top speed in highest gear at the RPM limit", which for 1098s with stock gearing is exactly 163.5mph due to gearing/rpm restrictions. Whether a particular bike will have enough power to reach RPM limit in 6th is another question and there are too many variables to it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think you should be fine, especially with your skinny ass (says the pot to the kettle).

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Even if gearing is the limiting factor, the bike has more than enough power to do 180.

iirc my bike was equipped with termis, dp ecu, and bmc filter at the time I did that run, so we're not talking apples to apples here.

Okay, you had mods that made more Horsepower, but what was your gearing? The fact of the matter is that on a bike the difference in power needed to make up an "ACTUAL" 10mph increase is huge. Aerodynamics become very important. You had an indicated 170 mph run which unless corrected would be closer to 163-165mph. If you didn't change gearing all your horsepower mods could do for you is increase acceleration and help you get to the actual top speed of 165-170 mph which is what the 1098's top out at. I think that ducati changed 3rd-6th gear ratios on the 1198's because the lack of top end speed on the 1098. I love the 1098's but they are definately not top end monsters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts