Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may need back surgery & thinking about changing to the SF from my 1098. Has anyone made the change or have both? I would be using it 60% for track days.

Also I have the 803RT forks on my 1098 will they fit on the SF? How about the shock are they the same? Thanks in advance for all of your input.

·
Bon Vivant
11,229 Posts
I have both, I believe (but have not verified) that the forks and shocks are the same. (my shock is slightly updated on the SF)
But remember, if you get the base model you will need the "S" triples to mount the Ohlins forks and
the triples are not the same as the 1098, and I don't think anybody makes an aftermarket triple set for the SF.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RT forks I have fit the base 1098 triple is that the same as the base SF. How does the SF compare speed & handling? Do you notice a huge wind blast?

·
Bon Vivant
11,229 Posts
The RT forks I have fit the base 1098 triple is that the same as the base SF
Not sure, both mine are S versions. I'd guess that they are the same but you need to verify that.

The SF has very low bars for an upright bike and they are designed to put you in a semi-racer position,
they are even angled down on the ends like a clip-on.
So your head is into the wind and thus the windblast at anything under 100MPH is no problem - comfortable even.
But over 120 and it becomes a problem, just the nature of no fairing.

The SF handles unbelievable for what it is, but what it is not is a race bike - it is not a 1098.
My 1098 is still a little faster than my SF - but not much. But to be fair I've done a lot more work to the 1098 than the SF so far.

The one intangible that cannot be denied is the fun factor. To me the SF is far more fun to ride every day than the 1098.
It is an absolute blast on the street but be careful it beckons you to go faster faster faster!!!

There's no denying that the 1098 is a better track bike, it was designed for track use and is very good in that element.
The streetfighter is a better street bike and is more comfortable and more fun to ride every day.
It will be fun on the track no doubt but you'll have to accept it for what it is on the track.

The thing I keep thinking is that when I'm on the track the 1098 doesn't feel uncomfortable and doesn't hurt my back or wrists -
it's only on the street where it's out of its element. That is where the SF is better.

I can't tell you if the SF will help you ride on the track after your surgery, I really don't know.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ive recently decided to make the change.

However if you are going to use the bike for 60% track I would recommend keeping the 1098 especially since its already set up. The streetfighter is a "practical superbike" for the streets, and by that I mean more comfortable. If you get the base model im pretty sure the 803's will bolt right up, the TTX will as well.

rb_duc has his base model set up by Dan and mentioned that the 1098's suspension is identical. The rake is the only thing that is different (streetfighters is a little over 1 inch longer)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Bar height spacers

I have had 3 back operations and that is why I didn't buy a 1098 in the first place - my back wouldn't take the position. Even the SF was a bit low so I put 1 inch bar risers on and now its perfect - never had any back issues at all...

·
Registered
91 Posts
With the 1 inch of rise did you have any oem cable/housing length issues?

I have had 3 back operations and that is why I didn't buy a 1098 in the first place - my back wouldn't take the position. Even the SF was a bit low so I put 1 inch bar risers on and now its perfect - never had any back issues at all...

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I have a 1098 and a SF.

I'd choose the 1098 over the SF any day for track use.

I have Speedymoto bar risers on the 1098 that help a little on the wrists.

-M

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Plug and play. Slight sightline interference with the console must no real problem. I had the risers made (water-jet cut aluminum)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a 1098S and SF-S and took both to Infineon back in July, hands down the 1098 is better for track use out of the box. The SF is more comfortable with lower footpegs but they drag really early - especially the right side with the exhaust cover getting in the way of my heel.

I really hated the SF the first day (on track) but adjusted my riding style on the second day and had a blast. The SF seems more stable under braking and that may be due to the longer swingarm and raked front end? Power wise they both have plenty but at triple digit speeds the unfaired SF gives little protection from the wind.

On the streets the SF is WAY better than the 1098, although your drivers license may take big hits!! If you can get a demo try the SF out, it's a fun bike :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the input. I am hoping to demo one this weekend.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Bad back bar risers

Here is a picture of the bar risers I had made. I left the bolts exposed because I wanted an industrial look. This cost $125 but it could have been much cheaper if I went directly to the cutter as opposed to going through a middleman.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts