Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

last week, i had a flat rear tire and no local store seems to have the stock tire size -190/55 R17- of any brand,,
i could only find 200/55, 200/50 and 190/50,,
which of these sizes is usable for 1098?

another issue, the front wheel has very minor bend on the lip,, is that harmful?? how to fix it??

·
Registered
111 Posts
the 190/55 is sort of an oddball size. Checkout the guys at sporttour, they can tell you whats available. www.sporttour.com
As far as the rim, "google" frame straight systems" I think. I do not have his card with me at work. He is in tennesee and does a phenominal job of straightening wheels. He has done 2 for me and you can not tell where he did his work. No smudges or marks on the wheel. He doesnt even smudge the dirt!.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do i have to change the front tire which has been there since the bike produced in 2007?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I've seen more 55/190's on the rack at my local dealer than 50/190's as of late in just about any brand/compound so they are readily available.

Google wheel straightning and you will find many choices.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've seen more 55/190's on the rack at my local dealer than 50/190's as of late in just about any brand/compound so they are readily available.
+1

As far as my friends go, a lot of guys on liter-class bikes are running 190/55's these days. My 1098 came with 190/55's on it stock, too.

Also, just in case you don't know what those numbers mean. The 190 means the tire is 190mm wide. The 55 tells you how tall of a profile the tire has. It means that the height of the tire is 55% of the width. The R17 means its a radial and a 17" wheel.

So a 190/50 is just going to be a bit more round, and a 190/55 is going to be a bit taller or oval shaped profile. More preference than anything, because it affects the feel of how the bike turns in (unless you have some crazy tire hugger fender that sits super close to the tire or something).

·
Ducati Ambassador to the Vatican
299 Posts
190/55 is the perfect tire for the 1098, forget 190/50 it will handle like crap, too flat and your ride hight will significantly decrease.

I once used a 180/55 when I couldn't find a 190/55. Handles very well, good for street riding. If you use it for the track or for really hard street riding it might be a little narrow for hard out of turn acceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts