Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

This clutch problem bothers me a few weeks and I still haven't figured out what's going on. I'm in a small city, at where there's only one ducati dealer in town and they are 3 weeks behind the work!! So, I don't quite want to bring my bike to them unless the bike has some complex mechanical issue.

My bike is 07 1098 with 26k miles. The clutch has replaced with STM Evoluzione clutch as shown in the picture.

Here is the problem:
I've replaced the clutch plates in August myself and the bike works well with new clutch plates. Couple weeks later, the clutch issue happened when I stop at low down the ascent and then I give more throttle to start moving, then I feel the clutch limp.

I've re-checked my clutch work and the clutch plates are in right order. And I didn't see obvious issue as I opened up the clutch. I can see the clutch push rod working as I hold in the clutch lever. I've also bled the slave and master cylinder. The clutch lever feels less pressure as normal before bleeding and it has no improvement after I get clutch bled.

I did some tests to figure out what's wrong with my bike:
If the bike shifts to 1st gear, the rear wheel spins as lifted on rear stand.But the bike doesn't move if unloaded from the stand. As it's in 1st gear and the bike don't move, the bike won't stall. The same thing happened in 2nd gear.

Anyone's bike has similar symptom to mine? I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
take all the pates and check that a steel plate hasnt slipped down the mechanism. the first plate put in the clutch SHOULD BE A FIBRE PLATE, not a steel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take all the pates and check that a steel plate hasnt slipped down the mechanism. the first plate put in the clutch SHOULD BE A FIBRE PLATE, not a steel.
Yes, I've double checked the clutch plates and the first one is a friction one.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
If the bike is on the stand, can you turn the rear wheel by hand when you put it into first or second gear? Obviously with the engine not running. If yes then remove the clutch slave cylinder and then try to rotate the wheel. If you can’t turn the wheels then you have a slave/master cylinder problem. If not then it’s an assembly problem at the clutch. Maybe see if you can add another plate to the pack. Another thing to look out for is if you have an aftermarket lever that hasn’t had the piston pin locked and you ts starting to preload the master cylinder, which is more common then you may think.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
What are the bite marks on pic nr. 4?
They look to be witnesses marks caused by the inner part of the diaphragm spring. I saw this as well but was waiting till I get to work because there’s a bike there with one of these clutches fitted and I want to see if he has put the spring in the wrong way.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Check that all the teeth on the metal ones are straight, Ive had one protude once and it messed the hole thing up.
Second what x says, is where you start if you dont know where to start.
With the clutch lever in you should be able to turn the pressure plate by hand, let it out and it should bite. If it does not bite, remove the slave and see if it bites. If it now bites the total length between slave and pressure plate surface is to big, so in effect you need to cut the rod (at first you space the slave out with washers to make sure its the problem).
Im not saying its the case, its just one thing that can happen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the bike is on the stand, can you turn the rear wheel by hand when you put it into first or second gear? Obviously with the engine not running. If yes then remove the clutch slave cylinder and then try to rotate the wheel. If you can’t turn the wheels then you have a slave/master cylinder problem. If not then it’s an assembly problem at the clutch. Maybe see if you can add another plate to the pack. Another thing to look out for is if you have an aftermarket lever that hasn’t had the piston pin locked and you ts starting to preload the master cylinder, which is more common then you may think.
What is ts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the wheel can rotate in 1st or 2nd gear without slave cylinder.

I filmed videos while I'm checking the clutch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts