Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
was setting up a friends 1098 today - it was a lazy steering but much improved after raising the rear - im going to lower the front a bit next.

the front lacked feel and was moving to fast - i added more rebound and had to use all the compressoin adjustment.

its really prety good now for fast street riding - i like it - wonderful motor.

but the thing that bugs me is its standing up driving on the brakes - its not as bad since i raised the rear - but trail braking is not nuetral.

a 749s i played with did the same thing until i raised the rear, lowered the front, degreed the steering head in and changed to pirelli tires.

but you cant changed the headstock angle on this bike without buying a new tripple clamp and it already has pirelli.

?can anybody help here?

d magi

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
try raising the front one line at a time until it becomes neutral again. On my 749 the difference in one line would make or break that neutrality

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
most the reading i've seen tends to show the 1098 is the opposite of the 999.it likes the front raised and the rear lowered

·
Registered
630 Posts
The 1098 as delivered has too little trail and the back end too low. What's needed is to raise the rear in order to get the proper swing-arm angle and offset triples to get adequate trail.

You may want to read this; http://tinyurl.com/ygxx8xn

From what I have read, you may have created a dangerous lack of trail in your friend's bike.

Good luck
Courtney
The link quoted above is a good place to start.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It was my bike that magi was helping me with.

Even after just an afternoon of him playing with it, the bike feels alot better than it did. He's really got a good feel for this stuff.

I'm not sure that I'm quite needing a $1000 set of triples just yet though...

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
glad everyone agrees on the same solution :D
you funny guy - was thinking the same thing - but wazahe and pat are heading in the right direction - not a simple fix though - ill just squeze what i can out and let be.

rode a buell 1125 cr saterday - steering, handeling was stunning - you guys should try one - youll be shocked.

d magi

·
Registered
208 Posts
glad everyone agrees on the same solution :D
That's is indeed pretty funny...forums can indeed be that way sometimes.

My ST2 does this as well, scared the pants off me the first time I gently applied some front brake in a relatively slow corner (as the radius tightened). I haven't played with anything to try and counter it, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the tips folks.

its odd but i rode a standard street fighter - the steering was great and it didnt do anything weird at all and ive spent quite a bit of time on a 1100s monster and once it was set up a little, it was swell - just a hoot to ride - the front end feel is wonderful

it would have been nice to have a little more adjustability on the rear - bloody olhin and no compression knoby thingy for me to fool with.

d magi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts