Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1098 has a temperamental clutch and im not sure if it's me or the bike. When taking off from a stop, if I give too much gas then the clutch makes an ear shredding metallic rubbing sound and the bike lurches forward. And when I say too much, it's not that much gas at all. Any kind of aggressive start makes it the sound.

Do i simply need a new clutch or is something else going on?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a similar experience a while back, turned out it was the spider spring broken into 3 pieces, at a glance you wouldn't notice it as it's held in place with the recessed washer/nut, worth checking

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sounds normal! I experience the same sound with my Corse slipper. From time to time, I apply a new coating of white lithium grease which makes the metallic rubbing sound less.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds normal! I experience the same sound with my Corse slipper. From time to time, I apply a new coating of white lithium grease which makes the metallic rubbing sound less.
Does it make the sound go away or just less? I picked up a 1098 with a Corse slipper and did the white lithium trick. Improved the noise by maybe 30% and grabby-ness by 50%. Wondering if that's all I should expect.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Does it make the sound go away or just less? I picked up a 1098 with a Corse slipper and did the white lithium trick. Improved the noise by maybe 30% and grabby-ness by 50%. Wondering if that's all I should expect.
The sound stays.... I think it comes from rubbing between the pressure plate and last (i.e. top) steel plate in the clutch pack (the Corse slipper ends with a steel plate and not a friction one). You might try a convex steel plate as last one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts