Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Hoping you can help out with an unfortunate mechanical that ruined my day...
I bought a (new to me) 2007 1098 over the weekend from an individual. Went to take it out today for a first ride (exciting right?!) I found that when I would pull the clutch in, the bike would lurch forward, as though I were braking hard, killed the engine a few times, and didn't have the "coasting" feeling that usually accompanies pulling in the clutch. I decided to pull in to a side street to check the issue out, however when I started to slow to stop before turning left pulling the clutch in, the bike bike stopped suddenly, engine died and yes... she fell over on her right side breaking the tip off the brake lever, cracking the right mid fairing, and scratching up the tail plastic. I know the brembo's are powerful, but I was barely feathering them so i don't believe that to be the issue.

Once I'd picked the bike back up and gotten out of the street I tried to figure out what was the cause of the drag, and upon closer inspection the rear brake pad is dragging pretty severely. I can use screwdriver to get the pad to retract, however as soon I push down the rear brake pedal, the pad won't retract. Anyone have any tips/ideas on how to fix this issue? Bleed the brakes/adjust the master-cylinder etc?

Luckily the damage isn't THAT bad. (I think my pride's hurt worse than anything)
Also any tips for possibly repairing the small crack on the fairing (and minimizing the appearance of the scratches would be appreciated).

·
Banned
523 Posts
well at least it wasn't caused by a watermelon ;) ....someone here is bound to get the joke :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know the jerking clutch problem can be quite dangerous ! Had it on my old bike for about a year! On and off.

Sorry to hear of your off but You obviously have a couple of issues!doubt it was rear brake, It might be dragging and having some impact but you need a shed load of force to make the back wheel lock up. It sounds more like the jurking clutch caused the drop because if you say your clutch lever was pulled in why did the engine stop? Stack height must be off and maybe a bugguered slave cylinder? Brake; sounds like you need to clean the pistons with some brake cleaner and bleed it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry to hear about your bike issue. do you happen to have the maintenance history on the bike? if not you should do a maintenance day. strip your bike down and check your clutch plates, bleed all your brakes and clutch cylinders and change the fluids. also check the free play on all your levers. it's a good idea to check over everything when buying a bike whether it is new or used. you'll be surprise to what you find just by stripping your bike down to see what is on it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
From what you describe i would be checking the free play in the rear brake lever, if someone has adjusted it up( the lever) and not left a millimeter or two of free play, what happens is the rear brake will drag and heat up the caliper thus heating up the brake fluid making it expand, the more it expands the harder it applys the brake eventually in some instances melting pads, caliper and stuffing the rotor. I doub't there's any thing wrong with your clutch. If you haven't fried it to much deglaze the rotor and pads and flush through with new brake fluid,if pads look suspect than replace them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
yeah as soon as I read the title I immediately thought what cyclops suggests. rear brake port is covered as the freeplay has been adjusted out so the rear brake is locking on.; either that or perhaps you are just no familiar with the bike? they can be a bit tempramental/unforgiving to the new rider and need to be treated with a firm, confident hand even when just manouvering slowly around town.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The bike stalling with the clutch lever in could be the same issue as the rear brake - improperly adjusted and not disengaging the clutch when the lever is pulled. Especially if you're 2 fingering it and not getting the lever all the way to the bar in addition to being poorly adjusted.

well at least it wasn't caused by a watermelon ;) ....someone here is bound to get the joke :D
Haha, that one was an instant classic. New riders be sure to watch out for the following...antifreeze, oil/diesel spills, and watermellons you already knew were there. I wonder if he went through with the lawsuit? I'll have to dig that one back up :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does it have adjustable levers and an aftermarket slave cylinder? Once I installed mine the lever had to be adjusted all the way out or I wasn't getting enough pull to disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Now that's a long thread to get up to speed on. Funny tho.

To the op - yep what they said, I'd be looking at adjustment on both brake and clutch levers.

Sorry to hear of your experience but look on the bright side you'll soon have it sorted out and, damn you've still got a great bike.

I'd be doing a thorough look over or taking it to a mechanic to do so. Sounds like the previous owner may not have been so dillagent. Best be safe.

Hope you're up and running soon and with a minimum of grief.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,706 Posts
First things to check are the brake pedal isn't slightly seized on it's pivot and the return spring isn't broken or incorrectly fitted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for all the insight! It's currently at the shop and I'm awaiting the verdict (and the price tag) While it was there I had them do the factory recall for the heat-shield by the battery as well. I'll post up as soon as I get the answer from them.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.....
A little rear brake drag is normal. If you were to lift the rear wheel off the ground and give it a spin, you can hear the pads drag.
I'm not sure how much of an experienced rider you are, even if you are the Ducati can be a handful. They are prone to stalling either because the engine is out of tune or because their just geared to high. They require alot of clutch finessing upon stopping and starting. All could easily cause the bike stall in gear and drop if your not careful. The front brakes have a super powerful initial bite as you said.
Although you may believe it's the 1098 it may be nothing more than being unfamiliar and inexperienced with the bike, gearing, etc., and in their totality might have led to your drop.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If it's anything like any rear brake on all the Ducatis I've owned--once they find the problem with locking up (prolly free play)---I suggest never touching it again...they are pretty much useless. I've done many years of track time on many different Ducatis and I've never touched the rear brake pedal. Heck, I'd take the damn thing off if I could get through tech inspection without it!!!! Kind of kidding---but not really!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts