Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls!!! just new to this forum, just sold my three week old GSXR 1000 K8, had a test day on an 1198S and an 848, the 848 was sadly not enough after the liter bikes I am used to, however I loved the 1198S!!!!
Now I have the opportunity to get a good deal on a new 1098 question is will I really feel the difference of the 100 cc and 10 horse deficit and the Ohlins, and wheels???? I do track days but the bike will be a road machine....the 1098 is a good deal and will save me over 11K on the price of the 1198S I have never owned a Duc before but have ridden plenty (used to work for a motorcycle shop) any 1098 riders who have ridden a 1198S for a comparison, Thanks Colin.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think a better question would be, "Are the differences between the 2 bikes work $11k more money?"

Why'd you sell a gixxer after 3 weeks?

·
Registered
407 Posts
1098s vs. 1198

I went through the same dilemma :think:, (keeping in mind I wanted a new bike). I found both and was able to get the 1098s OTD for 21K, and the 1198 base OTD for 17.5K. What are the differences? If you don't know just compare... Of course the 1098s has the full Ohlins suspension, Forged Marchesinis (new lighter design- but not at nice looking in my opinion as the old ones), black with red frame color choice, and the red with red frame. The horsepower difference is only 10 ponies, but you can feel the difference. The 1198's 170hp is smoother- read the reviews. The 1198 engine weighs 6.5 lbs lighter than the 1098 (www.motorcycle.com) and 2007 1098S (identical engine as 1098) saw dyno results of 141 hp and 80 ft-lbs. The 1198’s claimed wet weight is 412 lbs. BTW, the Ducati Data Analyzer (DDA) comes ready on the 1198, you just have to buy the USB attachment from Ducati.

I bought a 2009 1198. I went that direction because of the research I did. Also I rode both and felt the 1198 was much smoother and quicker through the powerband. Also I have done some canyon riding on my 1198 and I have to say I have never in my 15 years of riding felt so in control of so much power. It is truly a balanced machine.

If you are debating between the two, maybe the 1198s is the machine for you, haha, I just had a wife who capped my investment at 18K due to house purchase plans. I figured I can always get suspension and wheels later. Good luck with your decision, and for what it's worth, I am truly shocked with the 1198! What an amazing machine!
:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sold my 09 gixxer in 3 months. I had a 1098 before and that one got stolen. I had insurance but I still lost a lot of money. I was angry and went and bought a R1 then CBR and then Gsxr(all in one year) I liked the CBR but crashed it at the track. GSXR was my least fav. Two weeks ago I picked an 1198.

To answer Colyn's question, I don't think you would feel the difference that much. A 1098 with full system is pretty much same power as an 1198. They look the same. If money is a concern get the 1098 base, if not 1198S is worth the money with ohlins and traction control.

I think a better question would be, "Are the differences between the 2 bikes work $11k more money?"

Why'd you sell a gixxer after 3 weeks?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guy's thanks for the reply's, money is not he only consideration here well not really, its the justification, first off I sold my gixxer because whilst it was very very quick with the full Yosh system and handled so much better than the R1's I had before it, it's still a jap bike of which I have had countless, trouble is historically I only keep my bikes for a year my thought process here is if I buy the 1198S for $31K and keep it a year I'm going to take a huge bath when/if I sell it, however in buying a 1098 which I am getting a good deal at my local bike dealer ($17K) the resale is not going to be as bad.
Do I really want the 1198S you bet I do, I'd love the 1098 R as it is a dream bike of which mere mortals like me will only dream about owing, so it led to the question for the $11K I,m saving for my first Duc will I be disappointed with the performance/suspension difference of the 1098 over the 1198S which I rode last Saturday on the Ducati ride day, I am thinking even if I decide to buy the 1198S next year the loss on the 1098 will be minimal and I'll get there one way or another....Thanks again, Colin.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would personally get the 1098 and use part of the 11K you saved to hop it up a bit. If you spend 2K and get a set of Ohlins fork internals and shock you will have a suspension setup that is equal to or better than the S bike. From there you have 9K do play with as you please. For the average to good street rider I don't think the extra 10hp will make or break the bike. As mentioned above a good set of pipes will give you that extra power.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
To my mind the regular 1198 isn't worth swapping my '08 1098 for. If you're going to go from a standard 1098, the 1198S is the only way to go IMO.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
916, 996, 998, 999, 1098, 1198, out with the old and in with the new. The 916 is probably fast enough and can be pretty well modded but it isnt the newest on the block is it. If you like to buy new bikes then thats what it has to be . Not what someone else has already had . Get the most modern one you can or you will regret it.

Never ever sell my 999R though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guy's thanks for the reply's, money is not he only consideration here well not really, its the justification, first off I sold my gixxer because whilst it was very very quick with the full Yosh system and handled so much better than the R1's I had before it, it's still a jap bike of which I have had countless, trouble is historically I only keep my bikes for a year my thought process here is if I buy the 1198S for $31K and keep it a year I'm going to take a huge bath when/if I sell it, however in buying a 1098 which I am getting a good deal at my local bike dealer ($17K) the resale is not going to be as bad.
Do I really want the 1198S you bet I do, I'd love the 1098 R as it is a dream bike of which mere mortals like me will only dream about owing, so it led to the question for the $11K I,m saving for my first Duc will I be disappointed with the performance/suspension difference of the 1098 over the 1198S which I rode last Saturday on the Ducati ride day, I am thinking even if I decide to buy the 1198S next year the loss on the 1098 will be minimal and I'll get there one way or another....Thanks again, Colin.
Based on what you tend to do..... it would be prudent to get a 1098 now and sell it in a year and buy a used 1198. Unless you are a very skilled racer, I doubt that you will notice that much of a difference in the 2, except that you won't have the latest/greatest.

·
Registered
610 Posts
31K for a 1198S? Damn, you getting rapped. You can talk to my buddy JohnnyO at Spectrum.

I say 1198S. With revised parts and new throttle body's, it's a different bike. It's smoother down low, as well up top has gobs of power. I was smitten buy it, and that was right after test riding the SF.

1198S is an absolute track bike...it's shame. I felt like I was riding a true 'Italiano exotica' as I expected it to be. It seem after Ducati came out with the 1098, th new it need work, so POP came the 2G.....1198

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got a great deal on a 1098 and with the money saved over the 1198 S I have ordered a full Termi system and left some money in the bank!!, as I said I have ridden the 1198S so its still pretty fresh in my mind, I pick up the bike on Friday and the exhaust will be here in ten days, should be enough time to get in the running in miles. because I got such a good deal if I decide I don't like it as much I'll simple trade up to the 1198 and go from there thanks again for all your input...still would love a Bayliss though!!:eek: Colin.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Enjoy your new toy. And remember proper suspension setup can make or break a bike. Make use you get your suspension set up for your weight/riding style.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do I really want the 1198S you bet I do, I'd love the 1098 R as it is a dream bike of which mere mortals like me will only dream about owing.

The 1098r is the cookie in the cookie jar on top of the refrigerator when you're four years old and half as many feet tall: attainable, but hard to do so. Now, the D16RR, that's the forbidden fruit for people like us.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I have had a change of mind!!!!!! I read lots of stuff about the 1098 today and called the bike shop, I decided against the 1098 in favor of the 1198 it only cost another $2,200 so why not, $2,200 now or $6,000 in a few months, a no brainer really, pick it up friday :D:D Colin.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Get the 1198s of course, and youll be flabbergasted if you can foot the cost. Its just another payment. THe finger gripping pull off the handlegrips will blow your mind. The mindboggling grunt , albeit 1098 has most of, will keep ya praying at night.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Congrats, duty. You will not be otherwise relinquished in your choice. GO 1198, RED hopefully. Absoultely beautiful and a big a$$ meanie.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My local dealer has a brand new 08 1098s BLK for 17k + tax & tag

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hi guys and girls!!! just new to this forum, just sold my three week old GSXR 1000 K8, had a test day on an 1198S and an 848, the 848 was sadly not enough after the liter bikes I am used to, however I loved the 1198S!!!!
Now I have the opportunity to get a good deal on a new 1098 question is will I really feel the difference of the 100 cc and 10 horse deficit and the Ohlins, and wheels???? I do track days but the bike will be a road machine....the 1098 is a good deal and will save me over 11K on the price of the 1198S I have never owned a Duc before but have ridden plenty (used to work for a motorcycle shop) any 1098 riders who have ridden a 1198S for a comparison, Thanks Colin.
Have you picked it up yet?

I haven't ridden the 1198s but I have the 1098s and had the same dilemma when I bought...1098 vs 1198. I can say that the 1098 has balls and for the difference in price, if you spend it on the bike, you won't know the difference, I'm sure.

10HP=what you had for lunch that day and air quality and other ephemerals.

Shawn.
ps if you really need the latest and greatest, you will need the same next year (a new bike!)...so save money, enjoy the cheaper bike and do her up...no one on the planet will know the difference.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 39 Posts