Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any good way of removing the oil screen without breaking it? Man, I broke one already as you can't grab it anywhere decent and now I'm almost temped to leave it and not do it on this oil change! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Remove the filter while still hot, as the plastic is fragile while cold. I use a normal plier for the job.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yea, they're brittle.. Best coarse of action is to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull while rocking it back and forth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
4 little screws...

I'm having a bear of a time removing the 4 screws that hold the gauze filter plate. They're probably already stripped. I've drained the oil out so can't run it hot. Maybe I need to return the old oil, run it hot and try again?

ideas welcome, for possible stripped screws removal off that little plate!

Greg
2007 1098

·
Registered
68 Posts
got it done..

OK, my solution for removing the tight little bastard 4 screws holding the sump plate. (Actually, I managed to get one off with the 4mm hex socket! I gave it some heat and hammer taps, and it came loose!) The other 3, I had to Dremel-tool a slot across each head, then hammer-tapped CCW on a thick, short flat screwdriver until they budged. Oh yes, I sprayed some PB Penetrant Blaster on all of them and let them soak for an hour.

Now I've got to find a way to budge the gauze filter screen out without breaking it!

I'm having a bear of a time removing the 4 screws that hold the gauze filter plate. They're probably already stripped. I've drained the oil out so can't run it hot. Maybe I need to return the old oil, run it hot and try again?

ideas welcome, for possible stripped screws removal off that little plate!

Greg
2007 1098

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Something that may help, if entering a problem lid, go for the easy screws first and on the problem one use a mallet to tap the lid along whilst setting pressure on the screw.
Normally the plastic thingy shouldnt require much force at all, just a vice and a yank. Get a good grip with a vice in one hand and then slap your other hand on top, its just an oring holding it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts