Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, all the current model Ducati motorcycles use the same filter, but I have seen some M1100 that had oil filter (#44440171) from the factory which is an older filter that is a bit shorter than the new one.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Amsoil EaOM138C

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are there other brands of oil filters that can be substituted for these?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Defective OEM Oil Filter 44440034A

The problem:

I'm returning a 600 mile $28 OEM oil filter #44440034A ('03 999) to the dealer today for, hopefully, a refund or replacement. I believe the filter has a defective gasket land sealing surface allowing seepage between the filter body and underside of the gasket. The top part of the gasket (which seals against the crankcase) looks perfect. I R&Rd the OEM filter two nights ago with a Hiflofiltro HF153 with immediate 100% sealing success. With OEM oil filter completely removed and bike on its sidestand, less than 1/2 ounce or so of oil dribbled from the engine (drained another couple ounces from filter). Per the HF153 filter instructions, tightened 7/8 turn from initial gasket to sealing surface contact. In both OEM and HF153 cases, the filter gasket was very lightly oiled with new oil, just enough to make it shiny (as I've done for 35+ years on other vehicles) and the gasket sealing surface on the crankcase was thoroughly wiped/cleaned (it was spotless to start with) before installation of the new filter.

The story:

Initial bike startup/run after oil/OEM filter change (checking for leaks with fairing off) showed no evidence of oil seep or wetness anywhere Returning from the first 100 mile ride after the initial oil/OEM filter change, 5-10 minutes after engine was turned off I noticed several drops of oil on the driveway (near the front of the bike). Pulling the right fairing showed oil wetness at the front bend of the front cylinder exhaust which had come down the side of the OEM oil filter. Further tightened filter with filter wrench twice before several subsequent rides over a 2-3 week period of several hundred miles with the same results: several drops of oil within 5-10 minutes after engine was turned off. Fortunately, no oil seeped with running engine and rear tire remained dry. So far, with the HF153, all is dry after two engine run/shutdown cycles. The OEM filter removed prior to replacement with the defective OEM one showed no sign of seepage (been on for approximately 1000 miles).

This is my first Ducati so I'm a little concerned about the quality control involved $28 OEM oil filter. I bought bike recently with 4100 miles.

Any ideas or comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dealer Response: New OEM Oil Filter

The problem:

I'm returning a 600 mile $28 OEM oil filter #44440034A ('03 999) to the dealer today for, hopefully, a refund or replacement. I believe the filter has a defective gasket land sealing surface allowing seepage between the filter body and underside of the gasket. The top part of the gasket (which seals against the crankcase) looks perfect. I R&Rd the OEM filter two nights ago with a Hiflofiltro HF153 with immediate 100% sealing success. With OEM oil filter completely removed and bike on its sidestand, less than 1/2 ounce or so of oil dribbled from the engine (drained another couple ounces from filter). Per the HF153 filter instructions, tightened 7/8 turn from initial gasket to sealing surface contact. In both OEM and HF153 cases, the filter gasket was very lightly oiled with new oil, just enough to make it shiny (as I've done for 35+ years on other vehicles) and the gasket sealing surface on the crankcase was thoroughly wiped/cleaned (it was spotless to start with) before installation of the new filter.

The story:

Initial bike startup/run after oil/OEM filter change (checking for leaks with fairing off) showed no evidence of oil seep or wetness anywhere Returning from the first 100 mile ride after the initial oil/OEM filter change, 5-10 minutes after engine was turned off I noticed several drops of oil on the driveway (near the front of the bike). Pulling the right fairing showed oil wetness at the front bend of the front cylinder exhaust which had come down the side of the OEM oil filter. Further tightened filter with filter wrench twice before several subsequent rides over a 2-3 week period of several hundred miles with the same results: several drops of oil within 5-10 minutes after engine was turned off. Fortunately, no oil seeped with running engine and rear tire remained dry. So far, with the HF153, all is dry after two engine run/shutdown cycles. The OEM filter removed prior to replacement with the defective OEM one showed no sign of seepage (been on for approximately 1000 miles).

This is my first Ducati so I'm a little concerned about the quality control involved $28 OEM oil filter. I bought bike recently with 4100 miles.

Any ideas or comments? Thanks.
Conclusion:

Following day, dealer, although "never happened before" skeptical and a question about my lubing the gasket, did give me a new OEM filter. Rode 100 miles yesterday with HF153, nary a drip or seep, completely dry after 4 on/off cycles.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Question...who on earth is charging (and why are you paying) $28 for the stock oil filter??? That filter should be around $12 from a dealership. If a dealer is charging that much, they're on crack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
BMW Ducati Vespa in OKC

Question...who on earth is charging (and why are you paying) $28 for the stock oil filter??? That filter should be around $12 from a dealership. If a dealer is charging that much, they're on crack.
BMW Ducati Vespa of Oklahoma (Oklahoma City). When I called the parts ept., I was told "about $20." A quick online check priced them at $18-$20 plus shipping so I thought I'd support my local dealer, especially with potential belt/valve adjustment(s) in the future. Like I said before, I'd just bought the '03 999, my first Ducati and the oil and filter were almost 2 years old (only 1000 miles though). I wanted to ride the bike with fresh oil rather than wait for 4-5 days for a filter shipment; I've always used OEM filters. I choked at the bait and switch tactic and price but figured it was still cheap insurance although vowing never to buy another from them. Where do you get OEM oil filters for around $12? I'll stock up at that price.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Every dealer in our area is around $12. That's normal. I use an Amsoil filter though.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Even Bad Crimes lowered their filter price to around $13.

·
Registered
630 Posts
BMW Ducati Vespa of Oklahoma (Oklahoma City).
That's your problem. If you need a dealership use a real one. I use Letko in Kansas City but have heard good things about AMS in Dallas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's your problem. If you need a dealership use a real one. I use Letko in Kansas City but have heard good things about AMS in Dallas.
Thanks for the info. Sport Rider or Motorcyclist quoted the owner of AMS a few years back so I figured it would be worth the round trip haul for the 6K maintenance.

Dave

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sport Rider or Motorcyclist quoted the owner of AMS a few years back so I figured it would be worth the round trip haul for the 6K maintenance.

Dave
I think that's a wise decision.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts