Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 08 1098 in January 5k on the bike second time the radiator gone bad.. not even a hot day both times been 70 degree nothing more... Bike Lemon... or is this normal ???

Thanks in Advance,

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry don't have much in-terms of detail...

First time it happen I notice coolant all over the left fairing.. I open the fairing up and there was leak from the radiator... Second time I didn't bother to open the fairing up.. but its in the same spot by the battery and the air vent... there no leaky hoses...

"Gone Bad" The shop said the radiator was defective...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, I'd hardly consider the whole bike a "lemon" just because of a faulty radiator... sounds like a fabrication problem with the part. Hopefully Ducati replaces it with something better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My '07 had a crack develop near the left mounting tab that created a small leak. The dealer replaced it at about the 5000 mile mark. I now have over 18000 miles and have not had any other problems.

I have a friend that had to have the radiator replaced on his 848 at about 3000 miles. No word on any problems after the replacement.

I believe the mounting tab is "stressed" on assembly at the factory, when the dealer installed the new one they took a little extra care not to apply any tension on the mounting tab. Just a guess, but I can't argue with the results.

And NO, I don't think it makes the bike a "lemon".

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just had same problem, in the middle of nowhere on highway 1. Dealer says left side leaks near upper tab are happening to some bikes. they cover it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well, I'd hardly consider the whole bike a "lemon" just because of a faulty radiator... sounds like a fabrication problem with the part. Hopefully Ducati replaces it with something better.
Actually, it's a long term, ongoing design defect that Ducati apparently would rather just keep replacing rather than designing a replacement radiator that isn't as failure-prone. :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually, it's a long term, ongoing design defect that Ducati apparently would rather just keep replacing rather than designing a replacement radiator that isn't as failure-prone. :confused:
I have the leak too ('08 1098) - upper left side. This makes at least the sixth or seventh manufacturer's defect for my bike and another 430 mile round trip to the dealer. The Ferrari of motorcycles? Not anymore.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I bought 08 1098 in January 5k on the bike second time the radiator gone bad.. not even a hot day both times been 70 degree nothing more... Bike Lemon... or is this normal ???

Thanks in Advance,
sounds like a bad batch of radiators...any sign of impact??

Bikes and their cooling systems get hot if it is 30 degrees or 110 degrees outside...air temp wont make a leak (unless you have only water in the cooling system and leave it outside in below freezing conditions spliting hoses and cracking radiators from the water to ice expansion)

70 to 100 degrees outside wont make a radiator leak.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just had same problem, in the middle of nowhere on highway 1. Dealer says left side leaks near upper tab are happening to some bikes. they cover it.
Who is “they” and do you mean they cover it if the bike is still under warranty... or they cover it when it is out of warranty because they (Ducati) used garbage parts? (In other words mine is out of warranty by 20 days and the repair shop just told me it's not covered)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Who is “they” and do you mean they cover it if the bike is still under warranty... or they cover it when it is out of warranty because they (Ducati) used garbage parts? (In other words mine is out of warranty by 20 days and the repair shop just told me it's not covered)
Don't give up until you've contacted DNA and talked to them about your problem. I'm guessing they'll end up helping you out under the circumstances.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Don't give up until you've contacted DNA and talked to them about your problem. I'm guessing they'll end up helping you out under the circumstances.

Good luck. :)
Yeah, good luck is right, DNA looks for any which way to get out from covering if they can. A mounting tab on my SF fell off bc it wasn't even welded to the frame and their way to get out of that one was: You took the bolt that hold the exhaust off so you're sh*t out of luck Mister!
Good luck is right!

·
Registered
71 Posts
jpooch00 - thanks for the encouragement. DNA has been notified through a reputable dealer I trust so now I wait. The bike has less than 5k miles on it and has had several recalls and one other warranty issue.

LaRossa - I have been let down before by DNA's crappy customer service… correction: customer disservice.

I know this bike will not be my last motorcycle however I don’t know if it will be my last Ducati. It’s getting harder and harder to defend my decision to buy a Duc to my friends who all ride Japanese bikes (and spent half as much $) – especially when they’re all out riding and I’m at home cleaning engine coolant off my garage floor.

I also know it is not good business to cheapen your product and then back it up with poor customer support. That will kill brand loyalty and growth.
However Ducati did take very good care of me back in ’95 concerning the gas tank of my 900SS. I wish they would have kept those ethics. I will post whatever happens.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I was reading a couple of days ago in one of these forums that most of the problem is due to the weight of the battery on the lower rad. mount to a point that vibrations, potholes, wheelies and all will pull the rad down and creates a pin hole leak at the base of the upper mounting bracket.
I wish I could find the post but they pretty much narrow it down to a fix, a strap that helps holding the battery from putting strain on the battery.
It seems to work. It also seemed to be a fairly simple fix, the heart of the problem as I said is the weight of the battery on the lower mounting bracket, if you can diverge the weight to a more solid place, it seems to work for a couple of people that have tried it. If I run into the post I'll link to it.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
UPDATE: My Service Rep stated that his DNA Regional Rep has't responded to him yet. The service manager suggested that I call DNA Customer Dis-service in California again and try my luck with them...again. Glad I spent $20,000.00 on a product who's own management cares so little about customers that they didn't even take the time to reply. Q: Come si dice lemmon rosso en Italiano? A: Ducati

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good news update. The Duc shop told me that DNA is going to cover the radiator. Thanks for the assist guys. And thanks to the Regional DNA Rep who approved my radiator.
Although it is good news (and certainly appreciated) I am waiting until the work is performed and I have my bike with DNA covering the cost.

jpooch00 - thanks again for the encouragement and positive attitude.

LaRossa -thanks for the tip on the reinforcement fix. I am definitely going to work on it. Also I am sorry you were sh*t out of luck on the mounting tab. What did you do? Did you press the issue with DNA?

I am genuinely and pleasantly surprised and will post a follow-up with the final outcome.

·
Registered
71 Posts
just had my 1098 serviced at my dealer (12000km or 1000mls) he showed me five radiators out of other bikes all with the same crack in the same spot on radiator.He said they all leaked after he had performed a 1000mls service.They have to move it to get at the valves to check shims.There has to be some stressing on the radiator,probably from the mounts.My bike is outside it's 3 year warranty so i will have to wear it when the radiator leaks.I am thinking of letting the bolts off a little that mounts the radiator to relieve stress.If you fit a new radiator i think you are going to have the same problem again.They are easy to repair,they can be soldered up.Also had a fan fault 18.2 come up on my dash,relay had corroded and blowen fush.I am getting sick of these design faults on my bike.I have also had other issues as well.I love my bike but if i had know there were that many faults with the bike i would never have brought it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
just had my 1098 serviced at my dealer (12000km or 1000mls) he showed me five radiators out of other bikes all with the same crack in the same spot on radiator.He said they all leaked after he had performed a 1000mls service.They have to move it to get at the valves to check shims.There has to be some stressing on the radiator,probably from the mounts.My bike is outside it's 3 year warranty so i will have to wear it when the radiator leaks.I am thinking of letting the bolts off a little that mounts the radiator to relieve stress.If you fit a new radiator i think you are going to have the same problem again.They are easy to repair,they can be soldered up.Also had a fan fault 18.2 come up on my dash,relay had corroded and blowen fush.I am getting sick of these design faults on my bike.I have also had other issues as well.I love my bike but if i had know there were that many faults with the bike i would never have brought it.
A guy on the "other" Duk forum has come up with a simple brace/strap fix that seems to prevent the cracks.

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good news update. The Duc shop told me that DNA is going to cover the radiator. Thanks for the assist guys. And thanks to the Regional DNA Rep who approved my radiator.
Although it is good news (and certainly appreciated) I am waiting until the work is performed and I have my bike with DNA covering the cost.

jpooch00 - thanks again for the encouragement and positive attitude.

LaRossa -thanks for the tip on the reinforcement fix. I am definitely going to work on it. Also I am sorry you were sh*t out of luck on the mounting tab. What did you do? Did you press the issue with DNA?

I am genuinely and pleasantly surprised and will post a follow-up with the final outcome.
Good to hear that DNA did the right thing for you.

Best wishes,

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Radiator replaced two weeks ago. The mechanic who swapped mine out said he never heard of anyone having problems with radiators as described here. He added that he had an 07 1098 and won some sort of championship on it. I told him to check out some forums but he quickly dismissed the idea; he was too experienced and knowledgeable to listen to the type of people who post on forums. The dealership owner told me his shop had swapped out several (guess the kid who did mine must have been winning his championship on those days). Anyway the bike seems to be great but I have only put 20 miles on it since the swap. When I called DNA, before reaching out to the shop, they were inclined to not cover it. I still believe the shop owner influenced Ducati to comp the repair. Thanks also to the new Ducati Regional Rep.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts