Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys wondering if I could get some help!

Ive been reading the threads and understand the closed loop and open loop system but I’m stuck!
I bought a 1098 with stock ecu, air filter exhaust with Akra carbon slip ons, the bike sounded amazing and ran ok but I felt it was lacking power. I then invested in a full 70mm termi system, dp race ecu, pc3 and a k&n hiflo air filter, fitted it to the bike myself as I’m an Aussie living in Mexico City and had the bike in Ducati service for a few things and in the end had to re do it all myself. So I’m on my own as I don’t trust Ducati here!
Ok back to the bike! Now with everything fitted, the bike won’t idle cold so I need to up the revs to warm it before it idles, also there’s a flat spot between 2000 and 3000 rpm. It definitely doesn’t sound as good and run as well as the stock exhaust with Acra slip ons, so I’m wondering what more is there to do? I read somewhere the valves may need re shimming and heaps of talk about getting a Dyno tune, but finding someone to dyno tune a Ducati 1098 in Mexico City might be like finding a needle in a haystack, not to mention will they do a good job!
Any ideas guys and what might be the issue also what steeps I would need to take? Would love the feedback and held if it’s available.
Dan.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Without a decent dyno and a switched on operator you’re pretty well fucked. Start from scratch, that is as stock as you can get and see how it runs. The 70mm system does two tenths of fuck all on the 10. Best bang for bucks is a set of slip-ons, lighten the stock flywheel and fit a quarter turn throttle and a GOOD dyno tune. A tenth of what you’ve spent and you will have a transformed bike. I know it’s not what you want to hear but seriously, none of us can diagnose or tune the thing via a forum.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Basic tuning would be my cents!
1098s are quite often off in synchronisation between the throttle bodies. There is a a dedicated screw for it, so if you can find someone that used to do this with carburetors he will know how to do it on your bike.
I can point the screw out for you if you like, and all you need is a 8mm socket on an extender that is about two feet long.

Step one for sure.

A full basic setting would include: balancing the throttle bodies, zero tps plus setting the ecu fuel trim level correctly.
On a 1098 this will result in it running properly, ie not dipping or behaving bad.

If you can, please put up a video of it idling and slowly rise rpms.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks xracer, so why do they make a 70mm full exhaust system if it doesn’t do anything? I’m new to Ducati’s always had jap bikes but my hearts been with Ducati’s. I have the right map loaded into the pc3, I’m now wondering if I should fit the std Ducati exhaust back on with the Akra slip ons!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think resetting TPS would be good to do after ecu change. Also you could check if there are maps to pc3 for your setup, can usually found those from Dynojet pages. Easy to load to pc3 and then test if works better than stock.
+1. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
so why do they make a 70mm full exhaust system if it doesn’t do anything?
Because people pay shitload of money to buy it. Ducati owners are known for that, buying everything that race teams use even if it makes everyday use more difficult. Exhaust, carbon parts, light wheels..you just name it. If it's expencive and same brand what race teams use..shut up and take my money!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would love to know thanks, I did buy a sync tool but don’t know where to put the hoses.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Ive tuned many many 1098s in the dyno doing seperate mapping, more than 25. I demand a basic setting prior.
Full system is useless if youre after power, reason they are being sold is that, in all respect of humans (me included!) humans think that something bigger will result in bigger everywhere.
I whish there was more of a focus on what the limiting factor is, in my opinion basic settings along with dialing the cams will make it jump like mad for little money.
Next step will be sorting the exhaust port of the head, but that is for those willing to put a bit more into it. It still would be less than a full system that renders nothing :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers mate! I just asked xracer if it’s worth putting my original exhaust and Akra slip ons back and selling the 70mm termi exhaust, what do you recommend?

·
Registered
463 Posts
No, no use, sell it to the illiterate, recoup the dosh into setting your bike up activating someone who really knows their shit :)

But...., but....there are none where he lives.:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Thanks Tom. Sorry Dano74, it’s our bedtime here in oz so I couldn’t answer. Toms basically answered all your questions. I know it’s hard to swallow but yep, sell the full system and put the stock pipes and slip-ons back on and find a good dyno operator. Even with a set of sync gauges and basic diagnostic tool you won’t be able to do much but a rudimentary setup.
As I’ve said in my first reply, set of mufflers, lighten the stock flywheel, short turn throttle, a GOOD tune and you will amazed at how the bike will feel. The key here is the tune.

First thing I would do at the moment is put a zero map in the powercommander and see how it runs.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts