Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume it is some sort of electrical connection problem but I could be wrong. Lithium battery is brand new and 100% charged. Before it stopped starting, it would occasionally lose headlight/turn signals/LCD screen while riding. Fuel pump turns on fine, then when I try to start it, 80% of the time I just get a quiet buzzing noise for 3-5 seconds then it stops. 20% of the time, this happens (see video) and it buzzes loudly until I turn off the key, with 2 yellow lights lit up on the dash

https://image.ibb.co/jESZh9/IMG_1141.jpg

Video:

Anyone have any input? Anyone ever have this happen?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
reg/rec failing or failed. the sound you hear appears to be the starter solenoid energizing but the battery lacks power to hold it. if your lithium battery has discharged to much it also could be toast. jump start your bike and check battery voltage at 3000 rpm. that will tell you everything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ECU ground not connected.
Saw you replied to my other forum post too, thanks!! how hard is it to get to the ECU/where s it? (I dont have a manual yet)

reg/rec failing or failed. the sound you hear appears to be the starter solenoid energizing but the battery lacks power to hold it. if your lithium battery has discharged to much it also could be toast. jump start your bike and check battery voltage at 3000 rpm. that will tell you everything.
No way it could be the battery, it literally has 3 miles and 2 start-ups since new on it, and its 100% charged. Ill try the regulator (I assume regulator = reg?) Thanks!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
It could be something as simple as a bad earth

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Ecu is below the battery, behind the left mid fairing. Lights turning off while riding is a classic symptom (on your model) of the reg/rec failing. If you are riding without the charging system not doing it’s job your battery is then powering EVERYTHING. Even your lithium battery will shit itself. It not only has to do the injection and ignition but lights as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ecu is below the battery, behind the left mid fairing. Lights turning off while riding is a classic symptom (on your model) of the reg/rec failing. If you are riding without the charging system not doing it’s job your battery is then powering EVERYTHING. Even your lithium battery will shit itself. It not only has to do the injection and ignition but lights as well.
Thanks man I just bought a regulator. only $24, might as well try it. and I can check the ECM/ground while im in there since I have to take that off to get to the regulator right?

edit: read reviews and decided to cancel that $24 one and get OEM lol

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
The ecu has a ground wire on one of its mounting screws. The main ground is screwed to the left engine case. First thing is to make sure the battery has enough charge in it to start the bike. If it has then check the battery voltage at 3000 rpm, it should be around 13.7 to 14.3 volts. To little can mean reg/rec is bad OR the stator is bad. If the charging system and earths are good then you start to look at other things (starter solenoid maybe). Yes, rec/rec is behind the ecu. Starter solenoid left of the ecu.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ecu has a ground wire on one of its mounting screws. The main ground is screwed to the left engine case. First thing is to make sure the battery has enough charge in it to start the bike. If it has then check the battery voltage at 3000 rpm, it should be around 13.7 to 14.3 volts. To little can mean reg/rec is bad OR the stator is bad. If the charging system and earths are good then you start to look at other things (starter solenoid maybe). Yes, rec/rec is behind the ecu. Starter solenoid left of the ecu.
Well the problem is, I cant get the bike started lol. The battery is brand new and on a tender that says it is at 100% charge.

So its probably not the regulator thats keeping it from starting, but it sounds like its possible that the regulator is bad too. It seems like the clicking noise when I try to start it is coming from the starter solenoid. I get a click the first time I press the start button, then buzzing that seems like its coming from back farther on the bike, (to the right of the battery looking at it from the side)

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,378 Posts
Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals and see what voltage it shows when you hit the starter or turn the headlamp high beam on.
If that's ok then test the voltage at the starter when you hit the button.
If it's low then work back to the solenoid terminals and repeat the test on them.
For a quick and dirty test use jumpers straight from the battery to the starter which will give you the bottom line.

davy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine did the same thing with that ground that mounts behind the ecu bolts when I forgot to put it back on so I'd check that. Maybe take it off and clean the contacts on that ground and try again or see if the bolt is loose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you tried tapping the starter solenoid with a screw driver? Mine was silent after tapping it few times and it starts.

If in doubt, get the solenoid bypassed see if the starter motor's working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine did the same thing with that ground that mounts behind the ecu bolts when I forgot to put it back on so I'd check that. Maybe take it off and clean the contacts on that ground and try again or see if the bolt is loose.
Will try thanks man

Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals and see what voltage it shows when you hit the starter or turn the headlamp high beam on.
If that's ok then test the voltage at the starter when you hit the button.
If it's low then work back to the solenoid terminals and repeat the test on them.
For a quick and dirty test use jumpers straight from the battery to the starter which will give you the bottom line.

davy
Thanks, this is definitly on my to-do list. Im so busy I cant even begin to explain it but im currently working triple digit hours every week.

Have you tried tapping the starter solenoid with a screw driver? Mine was silent after tapping it few times and it starts.

If in doubt, get the solenoid bypassed see if the starter motor's working.
Yes tapping it was one of the first things I tried haha. And what do you mean by solenoid bypass? like using a srewdriver to bypass

And I finally got around to taking the fairings off guys, and holy hell... Seems like I may have an oil leak... No oil was hitting the ground so I didnt know, but the inside of the bottom fairing is covered along with all of these wires/relays/etc. Is it possible this is causing some problems? or are these components sealed pretty well?

https://image.ibb.co/f0V8Kz/IMG_1161.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes tapping it was one of the first things I tried haha. And what do you mean by solenoid bypass? like using a srewdriver to bypass
Yupp. Or maybe a big alligator clips from battery positive straight through the starter connector :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yupp. Or maybe a big alligator clips from battery positive straight through the starter connector :D
It tries to turn over when I connect with a screwdriver, but still wont start. (Progress?)

And I assume this has nothing to do with the starting issue, but this terminal was covered in electrical tape for some reason. It was never connected to anything even while the bike was starting fine. but thought id mention it, in case its a problem. I also thought it was stange. any idea why its there? (Looks like its spliced out of the positive wire thats going to the starter)

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
WHO FITTED THE BATTERY??? Looks like someone has put an extra starter cable on. The wire you are holding is the original starter wire. IT SHOULD BE CONNECT TO THE STARTER SOLENOID along with the one that’s been added. It was taped so it wouldn’t short out to anything

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Understand the words “crank” and “start”. Two different words. Which describes what is happening?will it crank but not start or will it not start. Shorting the starter motor won’t “start” the bike, it “cranks” the bike.
Disconnect the starter cable from the starter motor. Hit the button and the solenoid should “click” once, anytime you hit the button. If it doesn’t, you know where the problem is. If it does, jumper cable straight to the starter motor from the + to the starter motor. It will crank, not crank or struggle.
Oil is quite likely be coming from the alternator wiring. Oil wicks past the internal sheath. Don’t worry about it.
What’s the radiator from? Doesn’t look stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WHO FITTED THE BATTERY??? Looks like someone has put an extra starter cable on. The wire you are holding is the original starter wire. IT SHOULD BE CONNECT TO THE STARTER SOLENOID along with the one that’s been added. It was taped so it wouldn’t short out to anything
Uh oh am I in trouble? lol. I did the battery. Isnt that what those black blocks are for? since its a small battery, I assumed they were suppose to be put under to keep it snug. Seems like a better idea to put them on top of the battery, but they were made to be connected to the bottom.

And thanks for confirming that. I properly connected it to the solenoid. (Still doesnt start tho obviously)

Understand the words “crank” and “start”. Two different words. Which describes what is happening?will it crank but not start or will it not start. Shorting the starter motor won’t “start” the bike, it “cranks” the bike.
Disconnect the starter cable from the starter motor. Hit the button and the solenoid should “click” once, anytime you hit the button. If it doesn’t, you know where the problem is. If it does, jumper cable straight to the starter motor from the + to the starter motor. It will crank, not crank or struggle.
Oil is quite likely be coming from the alternator wiring. Oil wicks past the internal sheath. Don’t worry about it.
What’s the radiator from? Doesn’t look stock.
No idea about the radiator. When I disconnect the cable from the starter to the motor, it DOES click. A jumper cable straight from the battery to the starter makes it struggle. It tries to start, it tries to crank, the clutch spins a bit, but it doesnt turn over, there is no combustion/nothing out of the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts