Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my warranty just expired few months ago and now i decided to take care of a longer problem i had with the bike hesitating when starting. It has now came to an end and will not start at all. Dealer discovered that my starter clutch,flang,bearings, and pin are all bad (i think there is still good parts to it but they wanna be safe) so they will replace all this parts. Problem is this parts are $650 and labor around $400. Does any of you guys have any idea where i can find this parts cheaper. Why this happened to the bike its very strange. Dealer is totally clueless they didnt even know what it was when they read the report they didn't know what this parts where at all.

2007 1098 3k miles

any help in sourcing this parts will be appreciated. Or interchange for this parts with other bikes that i could look for, for eg. is the 848 starter gear etc same on 1098, how about 999,998,749etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can try www.gothamcycles.com for secondhand parts

What exactly broke on the bike? Did the alternator nut come loose and cause this damage?
Thanks ill check it out, they dont know what it is, the gears are fine but the clutch shaved of some material off a starter gear. I think the flang or the clutch stayed engaged as i was driving and caused it grind down the metal, there was metal shavings inside the case. This is not by the starter its under the cover of the bike on the left side where the water hose goes in by the shifter lever. WEird im disapointed at this point. Still waiting to hear for ducati north america. Parts manager said he would email them too.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Sounds like the starter sprag.

I bought three this year on ebay, as the ones in my ST2 and SS both bit the dust this spring. Best price (and service) was from a guy in Florida (I think, I can check tomorrow).

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the starter sprag.

I bought three this year on ebay, as the ones in my ST2 and SS both bit the dust this spring. Best price (and service) was from a guy in Florida (I think, I can check tomorrow).

Tom
Yes i think that is what is wrong as well i just looked at some pics. Anyone else has an idea who is parting out a 1098/848/1198. Here are the details i got from invoice:

16013701A Starter Clutch Flang-----$122
70140231A Starter Clutch-----------$131
88110341A Inner Rings--------------$52
17310171A Starter Gear-------------$257
70240181A Needle bearing-----------$54

Diagnostic $187
R/R starter clutch $150

·
Registered
107 Posts
I might have what you need from my blown engine ( defect crank)

I will take a look when I get home tonight.

BTW: the sprag setup in the 1098 are quite largere than the one from the 999 series

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Have you contacted Ducati North America?.....You,not the dealer, I would and see if they will split the cost or provide free labor or something. If your 1098 had 8000 miles I would understand the warranty issue, but w/ only 3000 miles it would seem some sort of good faith response from DNA would be in order. Evidentially something wasn't proper in that engine for that part to good bad so fast. I would keep it between you and DNA, even if the dealership stated they already contacted DNA and were denied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts