Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Garage
20 deg. Celsius
fresh gas, 95

Ducati 1098 - Termignoni slip-on - YouTube

spark plugs?
compression?
would it be able to wheelie in 2nd gear only from gas and FULL up (not just jumping) the sky if compression low? - i assume a very big leak of compression to be needed in order to start that this heavy

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Cranking in that garage makes it sound odd, too much echo. It sounds like you have a weak battery though. Low compression would make it easier to turn over not harder. I doubt it is low compression.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Did you put a full charge on it before installation or did you pull it out of the box and slap it in the bike? I had a brand new battery with a bad cell in it this summer. Bad right out of the box. All cables checked and tight?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they formatted it one day before i took it.

i'll wire it to the car's battery and see if it does it again to eliminate this thing at least.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
the battery is new. Yuasa
Sinner, stranger things have happened. Do you have a voltmeter? If so, can you take readings on the battery while the bike is off, then idling, then revving at 3000rpms? If your starting/charging system turns out ok, then you could do a few more electrical tests, then move to fuel related stuff.

P.S. I didn't watch the vid cause my computer is slow. I have no idea if you can actually get the bike to run. But if you can, we can help from there.:)

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
It starts. Sounds ok, but he is in a very empty room and a lot of echo so it is difficult to be sure what you are hearing. Definitely a slower crank than normal though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the battery is new. it was formatted before they gave it to me. it s a very good brand, not sh*t.
i also keep it on a tender.

but check this one out, a friend of mine, motorcycle mechanic, told me to check compression. not to be to... HIGH.
I asked him how can this be possible and he told me that because of the city driving and lots of unburned stuff resides on top of the piston and by this.. creating .. compression.
He told me that from what he hears it it's about too high compression and that he saw this before, a daytona fu*ked it s started because of this.. engine became harder and harder to spin at start..

what do u think?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Well, in theory I guess that could happen. *cough* doubt it *cough* Only way to rule out compression is to do a compression test. See where it is. I really think it is electrical though. Maybe solenoid or starter cables causing excess resistance.

·
8,971 Posts
i ll take a compress test these days for sure to eliminate this variable.
Look, Sinner, there's three of us here wanting you to check the electrical out first. It won't cost you a dime (if you have a voltmeter). We're trying to save you a few bucks before you get into compression related stuff. You can't always trust a 'new' battery. So, do you have a meter or not?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That start wasn't all that unusual. After a week of sitting - even on a tender- it takes my 1198 a few cranks before it fires up. Doesn't matter if its been cold in the garage or if it's been sweltering hot. After its run a while subsequent starts are fine. Now, if that's the way your bike starts ALL the time, even after you've driven it around for awhile, then that might signify a problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i just solved the problem.

i put the voltmeter on the bike to see how much it drops the voltage when starting. usually should not drop under 10 V. mine was dropping... 8.5V - crazy much and i started to look after the problem.

It seemed odd to me that a 20A fuse was 'fited' in the battery box. I realized that's not an OEM thing there and i followed the wire to see where it leads.. somewhere under the rider's seat..

I popped out the fuse and i pressed start. the bike came up to life immediately and i was screaming of joy.

I removed the seat to see what is that improvisation..
the cable ended op in some connectors with screws. I realised.. the bike had alarm! the bloody idiot didn;t told me about and besides that, he didn;t removed all the wires and alarm;s harness leaving me to buy a new battery for nothing and so on.

at least now i'm happy, the bike starts nice now.

·
8,971 Posts
i just solved the problem.

i put the voltmeter on the bike to see how much it drops the voltage when starting. usually should not drop under 10 V. mine was dropping... 8.5V - crazy much and i started to look after the problem.

It seemed odd to me that a 20A fuse was 'fited' in the battery box. I realized that's not an OEM thing there and i followed the wire to see where it leads.. somewhere under the rider's seat..

I popped out the fuse and i pressed start. the bike came up to life immediately and i was screaming of joy.

I removed the seat to see what is that improvisation..
the cable ended op in some connectors with screws. I realised.. the bike had alarm! the bloody idiot didn;t told me about and besides that, he didn;t removed all the wires and alarm;s harness leaving me to buy a new battery for nothing and so on.

at least now i'm happy, the bike starts nice now.
You see? I was about to tell you to check that.

:rolleyes:

:D:D:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts